Deserter goes to Canada

by startingover 2 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

There was a story in our local paper yesterday about a local man who went AWOL from the US Army and went to Canada. I suppose that could be a discussion in itself, but the reason I'm posting this is the responses from the readers. Like these:

I have nothing but contempt for the Times-Delta for printing this article.

This newspaper does not represent the values of its readers. I will never subscribe to it, and choose to make my spending decisions without the use of its advertisements, because I am strongly opposed to its editorial policies. This offensive article is simply one more example of those policies.

— kris

I applaud the Times-Delta for running this article. The press is about covering stories, even the difficult ones. The newspaper is not supposed to just write stories that "represent the values of its readers," it is supposed to cover the news. The previous poster, Kris, just wants to read about everything that he agrees with. That, for me, would be a very poor paper.

— danielh

After my many discussions with JW's, they are so much like the first quote, they like their ears tickled. Amazes me I never saw it before I left the organization.

Having lived through the Vietnam era and personally knowing some who deserted to Canada to avoid the draft, from this article I discovered that it is no longer something you can do. Canada doesn't allow it like they once did.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I guess I have already done a big rant thread on the draft and the WTS, but since this one is here -

Did you know that the WTS, at least unofficially, actually discouraged Viet Nam era young men from "running away to Canada"? We were supposed to stand our ground, refuse "alternative bloodguilty" non-military service, and get sentenced to 5 years in the federal pen. All for the greater glory of Brooklyn.

James

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Did you know that the WTS, at least unofficially, actually discouraged Viet Nam era young men from "running away to Canada"? We were supposed to stand our ground, refuse "alternative bloodguilty" non-military service, and get sentenced to 5 years in the federal pen. All for the greater glory of Brooklyn.

And did you know that half of the Governing Body thought that non-military service would have been OK? But it takes two thirds, so all those fine young men went to jail instead. I always thought this was sick and funny at the same time. I mean if they were inspired or even "spirit directed", you would think they would all be on the same page right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit