2006 Our planet's health checkup

by Schism 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Schism
    Schism

Did anyone else watch this on National Geographic last night? It was a program with a bunch of experts recapping the good and the bad on earth this past year.

The bad news: There are too many humans, we are filthy, it's still getting hotter, we just can't learn to stop killing so many animals wastefully, polar bears are running out of food fast, China can't get enough shark fin soup, China is making more pollution now than ever, China needs a wake-up call about eating so many sharks and how it will destroy the ecosystem.

The good news: It can still be fixed, thousands of acres in different countries became national parks to preserve wildlife and forests, Africa has become heavyhanded in their fight against poachers, Chinese sports stars are swearing off shark fin soup to try to persuade others to follow, 70% of people (I don't know which people. I'm guessing all of them) want to be more proactive about going green, and big comanies realise now that they will make more money by appealing to the public as being eco-friendly. Big companies seeing big profits in being better to the planet could only mean great things!

The key topic here is that we can still fix it. One African lady, who is part of some organisation of tree-planters, said, "if everyone would plant 10 trees, just 10 per person, our planet could recover from the excess of carbon dioxide. Why don't you all go plant your own trees and stop using ours!" LOL, she was cute. I wish I had money for 10 trees, because I live on 3 acres that could use a good helping of them!

Scientists are thrilled to see so many people and companies starting to take the problem seriously for once. They said that they can see humans, slowly but surely, rearing towards a better direction. They also said that whatever each individual can do to help, to do it because our earth needs all the help it can get.

Just thought I'd share. I'm optimistic about it. Contrary to what JWs believe, the earth is actually becomming a better place because people are educating themselves and caring more.

Anyone know how to grow an oak tree? I have acorns, but I wish I could just cut a stem and make it grow roots so that the process wouldn't be so long.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Check with the National Arbor Society. They sell trees for very cheap prices. They usually have a big push each Spring to get people to plant trees. They aren't very large trees, but they grow faster than you expect. There are also small volunteers in our one acre yard each year. We often transplant them, when they get a little bigger and hardier to a good spot for them.

From one who loves trees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit