DIY 50 cent piece/quarter ring project.

by BrentR 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• BrentR
    BrentR

I do alot of blacksmithing and machining which requires alot of specialty tools. So when I run across a simpler and easier metal working project I like to give them a try also.

If you have access to any any pre-1964 50 cent pieces this is a simple but cool project to try. Might be a neat stocking stuffer also. A 50 cent piece will make mens sized ring and a quarter will work for women sizes. Pre-1964 coins were around .925 silver so it is easier to cold hammer then our current cupronickel alloy coins are now.

These are also referred to as "spoon rings" since prisoners used to make them just with spoons, Since most of us do not have as much spare time as prisoners do a hammer will make the job much faster.

http://homepage.mac.com/johnhuber/CoinRing/PhotoAlbum20.html

I will post some pics on mine when I finish them.

• dvw
    dvw

i thought i was the only one who new about prison rings. it takes forever with a spoon.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I didn't know until yesterday. Almost finished one for my daughter that is from a 1902 indian head nickel. The nickel was badly worn so it has no numismatic value. I was starting the final polish tonight and our power went out. The generator is in my shop so I can't be in there while it is running.

It took an hour to make with a planishing hammer that weighs 14 oz. so I can only imagine how long it would take with a spoon.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Interesting! I had no idea you could do this....sounds like fun. I like how the legend remains imprinted on the inside of the ring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit