How long has it been?

by XU 3 Replies latest jw friends

• XU
    XU

Hey people. I'm DF'd and my parents and two older brothers haven't had a meaningful conversation with me for probably a good seven years+. Many people over the years have told me, "Oh, they'll come around. It might take them a while, but they won't be able to stay away." (Not knowing witnesses). So my question is, is there any merit to this sentiment? Have you been shunned for awhile, then accepted back by family members to a certain extent or fully? I don't really expect to happen for me, but I'm curious if it's happened for you.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Welcome to JWD.

I have never been DF'd or DA'd (that I'm aware of) so my JW family has no reason to shun me. I've made no attempts of hiding my contempt for the WBTS from them though. This at times has made relationships difficult, but I can thankfully say that I dont think I've ever been shunned by family members.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

XU,

It really depends on them and, to some degree, you. I mean, if they get older and see the futility of it they might lighten up. If you are nearby and they run into you now and then it is more likely. If you were DF'd for fornication and now you are settled and married, they might lighten up when they perceive you are living a "cleaner" life. Same for drinking, smoking or drugs whatever outward thing you evidence a change over. So, I guess it is a matter of circumstance. If they are true believers they may never come around. My feeling is, don't be invisible if you want to be seen. Don't run from opportunities to be seen, funerals etc. I'm not DF'd but my brother is and now I have no problem talking with him. People change, but until they do its the status quo.

W.Once

• Quentin
    Quentin

Nope...I DA'd...my father never spoke to me again, until he was on his death bed...myself and his non-witness sister were the only ones in the room. All the jw's had evaporated. Held his hand till he was gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit