Anyone Remember the "Vet" in Philadelphia?

by Medic!? 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Medic!?
    Medic!?

Does anyone remember attending those horrid DC's in Philadephia, PA at the old Vet? I remember the awful dread as the elders would so excitedly announce the upcoming dates. Does anyone remember how they urged us to "calmly line up to view the hotel list" because there were plenty of hotels (roachholes) and if this one sold out, that a new list would be put together? What struck me as asanine was that I attended a friend's congregation during a service meeting and they announced this two weeks prior to the date the WTS directed the talk be given. No wonder all the hotels were sold out before we got our list!

Along with the Vet, how many lives were lost due to the extremes in temperature and humidity? I worked as a Paramedic back in the health center on level 200. Remember that gator "wannabe ambulance?" I know personally of 4 elderly persons going into cardiac arrest as a direct result of hypertension and the temperatures reaching 101 degrees in the stands. How could these assholes in NY allow this? After viewing the absolute clusterf*ck in the health center (improper supplies, unqualified persons working), I had to get out for fear of some liability. The real kicker was an elder who had no medical training directing the whole operation and giving orders to what needed to be done!

I hope all these people rot in hell for the suffering and fatalities as a result of the poor decision making in choosing the site.

• metatron
    metatron

Sheer hell on earth. CO/DO Condilis passed out on stage, one year. A testament to Witness stupidity and

stubborness.

metatron

• Cori
    Cori

I attend (not really) a spanish cong. so we would have to travel to NY for the DC. But I do remember going to the Vet with a friend who went to the english.

And yes I do remember the heat!

We attended the Yankee Stadium in NY and that happened alot up there as well. The steps were steep so alot of the women were falling on their high heels and elderly folks were suffering from heat strokes.

Pretty crazy!

• enlightenedcynic
    enlightenedcynic

"The Vet" in Philly and Yankee Stadium in NY were pretty bad, but in my opinion, the worst locale for a DC in the northeast was Giant's Stadium in New Jersey. Anyone who has ever had the pleasure of visiting the Meadowlands a.k.a. the swamp, knows what I am talking about. Scorching heat, downpours of rain, all in a completely open stadium! Those were the days!!!

ec

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The assembly in Philadelphia in the 1980s was the worst one I ever attended in my life! The temperature was at least 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity. I was surrounded by miserable people but I am sure the temperature had a lot to do with it!

I didn't get a single thing out of it. The only highlight of the weekend was sightseeing and going out to eat after.

But we were so uncomfortable we came home a day early.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit