How powerful are archangels

by plmkrzy 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I have been trying to post this topic and keep getting the error page. I have no idea if this will submit this time or not...crossing fingers and toes, I'll keep trying.

formatting problems..sorry.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

The Watch Towers view of archangels.
    Hi everyone, I haven’t been online for awhile. I know there have been many discussions on the topic of Jesus being Michael but I don’t remember anyone discussing the wt’s view on the hierarchy of angles in relation to Jesus other then “chief angel”.

I don’t know what the current stand is on Michael the Archangel but what I would like to know is, has the society ever given an explanation of why Gods first creation would be the next to the lowest on the totem pole of angles.

Can anyone share any material on the wts’s view on the hierarchy of angles and why they believe Michael, a “archangel” would have been Gods first creation?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

In Christian angelology, seraphim are the highest-ranking in the hierarchy of angels. In art they are often painted red, symbolizing fire. They appear in the Old Testament in a vision of Isaiah as six-winged creatures praising God. See also cherub.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
    http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/celestial+hierarchy
    Cherubs
    Main Entry: celestial hierarchy
    Function: noun
    : a traditional hierarchy of angels ranked from lowest to highest into the following nine orders: angels, archangels, principalities, powers, virtues, dominions, thrones, cherubim, and seraphim
    Archangels= next to the lowest

In Zoroastrianism the amesha spenta are arranged in a hierarchy of seven. Judaism and Christianity base their notion of angels on references in the Hebrew scriptures to divine servants and to the heavenly hosts.

Zoroastrianism and Parsiism
    Page 1 of 1
    Ancient religion that originated in Iran based on the teachings of Zoroaster.
    Founded in the 6th century BCE, it influenced the monotheistic religions Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. It rejects polytheism, accepting only one supreme God, Ahura Mazda. In early Zoroastrianism, the struggle between good and evil was seen as an eternal rivalry between Ahura Mazda's twin sons, Spenta Mainyu (good) and Angra Mainyu (evil).

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Is it JW belief that "archangels" are the most powerful of angels or not? Anybody know?

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

Well, accoring to the WTS there is only ONE angel. They argue that in the Bible, the word archangel is mentioned only in the singular and that it means "chief angel" or "principal angel". They also argue that every timet he word "archangel" is mentioned in the Bible, it's always either in connection with Jesus or in connection with other angels, the archangel always mentioned as in command of the other angels which they also use as a parallel because the Bible states that Jesus is in command of the other angels. No other created being in the Bible is said to be above the angels or in command of them except Jesus and Michael. 1 Thess. 4:16. It is also said that since Jude 9 mentions that Michael the archangel rebuked Satan, it has to be Jesus because only Jesus has authority over demons, no matter how powerful they are, including Satan. This is the explanation of the WTS: Scriptural evidence indicates that the name Michael applied to God’s Son before he left heaven to become Jesus Christ and also after his return. Michael is the only one said to be “the archangel,” meaning “chief angel,” or “principal angel.” The term occurs in the Bible only in the singular. This seems to imply that there is but one whom God has designated chief, or head, of the angelic host. At 1 Thessalonians 4:16 the voice of the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ is described as being that of an archangel, suggesting that he is, in fact, himself the archangel. This text depicts him as descending from heaven with “a commanding call.” It is only logical, therefore, that the voice expressing this commanding call be described by a word that would not diminish or detract from the great authority that Christ Jesus now has as King of kings and Lord of lords. (Mt 28:18; Re 17:14) If the designation “archangel” applied, not to Jesus Christ, but to other angels, then the reference to “an archangel’s voice” would not be appropriate. In that case it would be describing a voice of lesser authority than that of the Son of God. justahuman - but super nonetheless

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

*** rs p. 218 Jesus Christ ***

Is Jesus Christ the same person as Michael the archangel?

The name of this Michael appears only five times in the Bible. The glorious spirit person who bears the name is referred to as “one of the chief princes,” “the great prince who has charge of your [Daniel’s] people,” and as “the archangel.” (Dan. 10:13; 12:1; Jude 9, RS) Michael means “Who Is Like God?” The name evidently designates Michael as the one who takes the lead in upholding Jehovah’s sovereignty and destroying God’s enemies.

At 1 Thessalonians 4:16 (RS), the command of Jesus Christ for the resurrection to begin is described as “the archangel’s call,” and Jude 9 says that the archangel is Michael. Would it be appropriate to liken Jesus’ commanding call to that of someone lesser in authority? Reasonably, then, the archangel Michael is Jesus Christ. (Interestingly, the expression “archangel” is never found in the plural in the Scriptures, thus implying that there is only one.)

Revelation 12:7-12 says that Michael and his angels would war against Satan and hurl him and his wicked angels out of heaven in connection with the conferring of kingly authority on Christ. Jesus is later depicted as leading the armies of heaven in war against the nations of the world. (Rev. 19:11-16) Is it not reasonable that Jesus would also be the one to take action against the one he described as “ruler of this world,” Satan the Devil? (John 12:31) Daniel 12:1 (RS) associates the ‘standing up of Michael’ to act with authority with “a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time.” That would certainly fit the experience of the nations when Christ as heavenly executioner takes action against them. So the evidence indicates that the Son of God was known as Michael before he came to earth and is known also by that name since his return to heaven where he resides as the glorified spirit Son of God.
    italics added - circular reasoning - as usual.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Only by blindly sticking to the Protestant Bible canon (without crediting the Pharisaic-Rabbinical, early Catholic church and Reformer "Fathers" for it) can the WT hold such teaching. While later angelology can be dismissed from an exegetical standpoint, it is absurd to ignore that the "archangel Michael" originally came up as one member (Michael) in a collective category (archangels). To answer your question more specifically, it seems that the earliest angelologies put the archangels above seraphim and cherubim. Cf. for instance the ascending presentation in 1 Enoch 70:

And Michael, one of the archangels, took me by my right hand, raised me up, and brought me out to where was every secret of mercy and secret of righteousness. He showed me all the hidden things of the extremities of heaven, all the receptacles of the stars, and the splendours of all, from whence they went forth before the face of the holy. And he concealed the spirit of Enoch in the heaven of heavens. There I beheld, in the midst of that light, a building raised with stones of ice; And in the midst of these stone vibrations of living fire. My spirit saw around the circle of this flaming habitation, on one of its extremities, that there were rivers full of living fire, which encompassed it. Then the Seraphim, the Cherubim, and Ophanin (the wheels of Ezekiel's chariot, also personified as heavenly beings) surrounded it: these are those who never sleep, but watch the throne of his glory. And I beheld angels innumerable, thousands of thousands, and myriads and myriads, who surrounded that habitation. Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, Phanuel and the holy angels who were in the heavens above, went in and out of it. Michael, Raphael, and Gabriel went out of that habitation, and holy angels innumerable. With them wasthe Ancient of days, whose head was white as wool, and pure, and his robe was indescribable. Then I fell upon my face, while all my flesh was dissolved, and my spirit became changed. I cried out with a loud voice, with a powerful spirit, blessing, glorifying, and exalting. And those blessings, which proceeded from my mouth, became acceptable in the presence of the Ancient of days. The Ancient of days came with Michael and Gabriel, Raphael and Phanuel, with thousands of thousands, and myriads and myriads, which could not be numbered. Then that angel came to me, and with his voice saluted me, saying, You are the Son of man, who art born for righteousness, and righteousness has rested upon you.
  • plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

To answer your question more specifically, it seems that the earliest angelologies put the archangels above seraphim and cherubim.
    Thanks

Thank You ALL for your responses. I tried to reply to each but lost my entire response to the dreaded error page.

I was happy as heck to log on and see some response! Thanks again.

plm

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

As to the "archangels" being the closest circle to God (aka the Ancient of Days in 1 Enoch and Daniel), compare Luke 1:19: "I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God" and Revelation 8:2 "the seven angels who stand before God" with Tobit 12:15: "I am Raphael, one of the seven holy angels who represent the holy ones and enter before the face of the Holy One."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit