Women in the "Truth

by hillbilly 8 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Howdy All!

First, I'd like to thank all of you for providing a diverse and enjoyable forum. In my opinion, the lack of good "debate" and discussion of veiwpoints are some of the things that made my 'active duty' days less than enjoyable. Most dubs will only emote on how "joyfull" they are and get real "wiggley" when you ask for a "OPINION" about anything based on reality...I digress thats for another day.

Over the last few years I have slipped under 'borg radar. The bride remains on active duty. Her choice, and with her upbringing and family the 'borg is a less dysfuntional alternative.

It has occured to me from obsevation that the WTBTS retains so many women with inactive or non-JW mate is this.
    If hubby is not "reaching out" wifey is not exposed to the political nonsense. It occured to me that elders, ms' and other key folks in the cong have dismal home lives because their priorities get distorted. Plus, all family members get the added bonus of living under a looking glass, as far as the local membership looks to them as a example.
    Being an elders kid I have seen this situation from the top and bottom.

The point I'm trying to make is women 'alone" in the truth get less hassle(generaly) than some married women with active husbands.

Just looking for some feedback about this idea.

When I get a little free time I'll post my story,(a million others i've picked up) West Tenn was a hotbed of witness dysfunction

back in the early '80.

"I'm still lookin for clues at the scene of the crime..."- Joe Walsh

• outcast
    outcast

Welcome hillbilly!

Look forward to experiences in dysfunctionville junction.

• Ray Skyhorse
    Ray Skyhorse

Welcome Hillbilly! Nice to have you here. I thought your post was very interesting. I'm married to a JW; I've never been a member. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
    Peace,
    Ray Skyhorse

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

This thread explains how women in the truth a treated

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=12533&site=3

• roybatty
    roybatty

>>If hubby is not "reaching out" wifey is not exposed to the political nonsense. It occured to me that elders, ms' and other key folks in the cong have dismal home lives because their priorities get distorted. <<

I agree 100% that priorities get totally screwed up. Soon after being appointed as an elder at the ripe old age of 27, I was conducting a bookstudy, doing the second school, and was the Service Overseer. Since there were only three other elders in our congregation of 100 people, we also had at least one part either on the school or the service meeting (usually two parts though). This added to making “shepherding calls”, being on judicial committees (groan), giving public talks, building a new KH and leading the “brothers and sisters” out in service left little time for my family. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t all bad, I really enjoyed helping people with their difficulties but I have to warn all male JW’s out there that becoming an elder will affect your family (and marriage) for the worse. As a general rule, when the CO comes around and hours are down or meeting attendance is down, he expects results and he doesn’t care how much time you as an elder have to spend away from your family to get it. Why do you think the elder turn over rate is so high?

• Mum
    Mum

Hi, Hillbilly. I'm from East Tennessee myself, but now I live in Nevada.

I was a single JW female and functioned much better singly. I married an elder and got to know the inner workings of some of the stuff that went on. I learned about the infighting and accusations and disfellowshipping trials, and hated it. My naivete finally disappeared completely, and I had to face the truth about the "truth."

Welcome to the board.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

BTTT-- for the newbies

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

There was a cong that I attended for a couple of years where the PO was, um, zealous, to say the least. He was being groomed for CO and subbed frequently. He was very much the domineering, alph-male PO. He would often chastize the bros from the platform - "WHY AREN'T YOU REACHING OUT??!!!" Gawd I couldn't stand him.

I remember looking around the hall on such occasions and looking at the evil non-reaching out bros w/their wives and/or families and I would think to myself how miserable it must be to be married but semi-active in the troof, yet still a believer. All the unspoken guilt and anxiety those couples must have. You could see it in their faces.

No wonder single JW women often fare better than married ones. The single ones who have an inactive or non-JW hubby have this "other-world" away from JW-world that they can go home to and relax a little bit. When only one person is under the burdensome WT yoke, how nice it must be for them to have that escape.

My JW life was similar. On one hand I had the JW thing, which at first gave me a sense of spiritual fulfillment (but less and less and finally zero as the years went by) but on the other hand I had my not-the-least-bit-interested, non-JW family to hang with, and I enjoyed the escape from Watchtower-World that hanging out with them provided.

• minimus
    minimus

If a woman has an unbelieving mate, she can go to Christmas parties, decorate the house for the holidays and vote.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit