Texans! Tell me about your brisket!

by JWdaughter 9 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I have had brisket that would melt in your mouth. I followed the recipe. Mine did NOT melt in anyones mouth. The person who first introduced me to brisket has been transferred to another army base. I really need to know how a real Texan makes brisket. Because I have it in my head that that is the only way to make it right. Any hints, clues major Texas secrets would be appreciated. If it is a state secret, no one here on JWD will tell. Thanks in advance.

Shelly

• 5go
    5go

It's good look for a small town place to get if you come. Try the southeast city like around houston, austin,san antonio and dallas ( though it isn't in the south) if your in austin go to the saltlick, rudy's or go to the towns of lockhart( lockhart bbq ) and or smithville ( Zimmerhanzel's ( the best in my opinion )'. Both about thirty minutes away from austin.

• rassillon
    rassillon

So that I don't have to go through the trouble of writing out the whole process I will include a link that gives a fairly good go at it

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_27442,00.html

It is Paula Dean from FOOD TV

The key is really the cooking process that makes it tender.

A few caveats:

Find a rub that you like and use that.

Get a BBQ sauce that you like and heat it and the pan juices together, put it on the plate when serving, nobody likes brisket smothered in sauce.

Trim "excess fat before cooking" leave some fat but if you have large pieces of really thick fat, trim that down that way it will disolve during the cooking process.

Stick with an oven if you don't have a decent pit and KNOW how to use it. This is NOT grilling.

For extra goodness make a marinade, get an ice pick and go fatal attraction on brisket then pour on the marinade and stash in the fridge for 2 days. flip after a day. When you pull it out dry it and put on the rub, continue with instructions.

cheers,

-r

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled

Also: Don't freeze it. A frozen and then thawed brisket is never as tennder as one that has never been frozen. Good luck!!!

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

I'm not from Texas, I'm from Indiana, so can I tell you about my basket instead of my brisket?

Just kidding.

Whether it is a high quality Texas brisket or a good old fashioned Indiana pot roast (which isn't made in a pot btw - it's made best in a dutch oven - but I digress)...

The secret of cooking any roast type of meat so that it is tender is to cook it on low heat, sloooooowly, and keep it moist. This will let the proteins and connective tissue disolve while keeping the roast from drying out.

Dang it. Now I'm hungry.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I will take the advice about the assault and marinate-then drying it off before cooking, but do i cook in a pan with water or without? I make great pot roast, don't know why my brisket won't taste that good. I will remember not to freeze it. How long do I cook it and at what heat?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I love Texas Brisket. One thing I noticed about Texas BBQ restaurants is that unlike the rest of the country,they serve pinto beans instead of baked beans. Pinto beans are a staple in Kentucky, and they are what my grandma fixes the most. There is some mighty good BBQ eatin in Texas, but my all time favorite BBQ place is Sonny's Pit BBQ, they are a chain in the south, especially Georgia and Florida.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Put the brisket fat side up, season to taste or just pour a jar of your favorite barbecue sauce over it, cover tightly with foil and put it in the oven just before you go to bed. Set the oven temperature to 200 degrees F (don't preheat) and when you wake up in the morning (I'm assuming you get about 7 hours' sleep -- anything between 6 and 8 is fine) take it out of the oven. It should fall apart or at least be really tender. If you let it sit in the fridge all day while you're at work the fat will rise to the top and harden making it easy to scrape off which leaves you with a wonderful gravy base. Warm and eat.

Nina

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I notice Merrikans talk about brisket a lot, especially in their cooking shows, but I don't see much reference to it here; do we use a different name for the cut?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I dont do alot of cooking, so my grocery shopping is mainly easy instant fix stuff, especially microwaveable stuff. I dont recall seeing much brisket in the stores around here, Im wondering if that is mainly a Texas cut of meat. Brisket is definitely really popular in Texas, as alot of restaurants serve it. Around here I dont find it much in the restaurants either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit