What Islamic Fundamentalists are really afraid of;

by Abaddon 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

... is women

(From the Daily Telegraph, a British national paper)

SO we're going in. In the next few days, our boys will be taking on the Taliban, and we must all pray they succeed. Let them winkle him out of his cave. Let them blast Osama bin Laden's arms dumps and blitz his followers, and carpet-bomb the Khyber with pineapple chunks, to appease the civilians, and then, and then . . . er: nobody seems sure what happens then, because this is a war against terrorism unlike any other.

We have had our own such war for the past 30 years, and we know that it is accompanied by a stately hypocrisy. On the one hand, we do our best to catch them, or sometimes just shoot them. On the other hand, we secretly talk to them and give them what they want. We invite them first to Cheyne Walk, in 1973, and eventually to Downing Street. My dear Gerry, my dear Martin, what would it take to get your lads to stop blowing us up? A ministerial Rover? Done. The end of the RUC? Say no more.

The trouble with the war against Islamic fundamentalist terror is that the terrorists themselves have no interest in talking. Bin Laden calls on his followers to kill all infidels. Then, he says, the killers will go to heaven. There is not much room for negotiation there, not even over tea at Number 10. We are not only horrified by the actions of the 19 suicide killers; we are still baffled, two weeks on.

What is it really all about? What is the true well-spring of this rage? We have all read that these crazed young men resent America for supporting Israel; that they believe the sufferings of the Iraqi people are excessive; that they hate their own corrupt regimes, especially in Saudi Arabia, and blame America for backing them. None of these geopolitical reasons, I am afraid, quite does the trick, for me. There must be some deeper offence to their pride.

I think it is to do with their sense that they are representatives of a culture under siege. They fear that American morals and values will take them over, just as Coca-Cola and McDonald's have conquered the Earth. And what is the biggest single difference between their culture and Western culture? That's easy: it's the treatment of women.

Not all Islamic societies are equally sexist. You may not believe it, but the Turks gave women the vote before the British did. But listen to the casual bias of bin Laden's address to "brother Muslims". Look at the wacko women's gear that the BBC's John Simpson wore when he smuggled himself into Afghanistan, a sort of blue tent with a letterbox hole for the nose.

This is a world where women are lashed for adultery; where little girls are denied education; where female teachers are sacked; and where women are kept from elementary health care. Mohammed Omar, the Taliban leader, says that mingling men and women is Western and decadent, and leads to licentiousness. To call these views medieval is an insult to the Middle Ages. And yet they are held, with varying intensity, across the Muslim world.

In Kuwait, the country for which we fought, they recently decided against giving women the vote. As one enlightened Kuwaiti MP, Ahmad al-Baqer, put it: "God said in the holy Koran that men are better than women. Why can't we settle for that?" The Kuwaiti tribunes later had a debate on the Sydney Olympics, in which a fruitcake called Waleed al-Tabtabaie called for the banning of women's beach volleyball, on the ground that it was "too sexy and indecent".

In Kano, Nigeria, the Muslims banned female soccer. In Dhaka, Bangladesh, women have been banned from working for NGOs. A Malaysian minister recently announced that any kind of skirt is an invitation to rape. Iranian magazines may not show unveiled pictures of Monica Lewinsky, or any other woman who has had sexual relations with President Clinton. The imam of a mosque in Fuengirola, Spain, one Mohamed Kamal Mostafa, has just published a handy guide to when you may beat your wife. Only hit the hands and feet, he says, using a rod that is thin and light. Of course, it's all grotesque. It's nutty. But these prejudices are so deeply held by Islamic fundamentalists that they will die to preserve them.

They look at America, and they see a world full of spookily powerful women, such as Hillary Clinton. So terrifying have been the advances of Western feminism that her ludicrous husband can almost be expelled from office for having a sexual liaison with an intern. The Muslim fanatics see denatured men, and abortion, and family breakdown, and jezebels who order men around. It tempts them and appals them and, finally, enrages them. Mohammed Omar says that "only ugly and filthy Western cultures allow women to be insulted and dishonoured as a toy". What he means is that only the West allows women to be treated as equals.

Now, there will be plenty of British conservatives who think these Taliban chappies run a tight ship, women's lib is not an unalloyed blessing, look at all these poofters these days, and so on. There are even ex-feminists, such as Germaine Greer, who will take a perverse pleasure in announcing that women can look very beautiful in a veil.

These points may or may not be valid, but they are essentially irrelevant. Female emancipation has been the biggest social revolution since print. In trying to resist it, the Muslim fanatics are establishing themselves as doomed cultural Luddites. Let me say what the Left cannot say, since it chokes on the contradictions of its position, at once feminist, and yet relativist.

It is time for concerted cultural imperialism. They are wrong about women. We are right. We can't have them blowing us up. The deluded fanatics must be helped to a more generous understanding of the world. Female education is the answer to the global population problem. It is the ultimate answer to the problem of Islamic fundamentalist terrorism.

Keep on rocking in the free world...

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

Abaddon,

The trouble with the war against Islamic fundamentalist terror is that the terrorists themselves have no interest in talking.

That should be perfect for the US considering the botched diplomatic jobs they've done in Kosovo and Iraq.

Who's given out the non-negotiable Ultimatum here anyway?

Pakistan is having, it appears, one final fling to convince the Taliban to give bi-Laden up. The U.S. still hasn't responded to a Taliban request for evidence either. The Taliban may well be jerking everyone around with this stuff but the U.S. should explore all diplomatic avenues before they start dropping bombs. Pakistan was shown a dossier of the evidence on the 2 bombings in Africa in 98 and found the evidence very convincing. They have suggested the U.S. release that.

Again, The Taliban may well be screwing around, but on the other hand, a request for evidence isn't unreasonable. NATO members have made the same request.

• jelly
    jelly

A request for evidence is unreasonable if it burns your sources. Don’t fret however Gweedo it looks like the US is going to take the least force option, at least at first. Powell is against committing a large force in Afghanistan, and Bush wants to work with the Muslim world not against it. My prediction is the retaliation is going to take the form of US and British commando raids, supporting the Northern Alliance, aid the population of Afghanistan in the way of food and medicine and working with exiled Afghani’s, the UN and the NA to try to create a stable interim government. Going for the whole harts and minds thing. Will it work? I have no idea and neither do you, but its probably a logical first step. You can always ratchet up a war but it’s hard to slow it down once it starts.

Jelly

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO
    A request for evidence is unreasonable if it burns your sources

Yeah, i know the reasoning here

I just don't buy it totally. I'm sure they can aleast put something together. Pakistan thinks they can....they've seen the 98 dossier.

but anyway..

the UN and the NA to try to create a stable interim government

I'm not sure if thats what they will do

But theres a few problems here. I know The UN was talking to some deposed Afghani king from the 70's. The problem is when you overthrow the Taliban...you may well end up with all sorts of splinter groups and more unrest and civil conflict. The Taliban will still be round fighting a geurilla war too. Who is going to want to have peace keepers in that situation. I suspect not too many!

• Julie
    Julie

:The U.S. still hasn't responded to a Taliban request for evidence either.

You must be joking!!! Have you ever tried to reason with a fundamentalist?? Go have a conversation with Rex and get back to me.

Evidence indeed. This is no court of law friend, this is the court of world opinion. Do you think the entire world is wrong and only the Taliban and bin Ladin are in the right?

What an absurdity.

Julie

• joelbear
    joelbear

Abaddon,

Fascinating essay with which I mostly agree. I think its goes one more step. The way a culture treats women comes from the way the men in the culture view themselves. Actually, just been reading about this in my anthropology class.

I think what it really comes down to is control and prowess. Islamic men have been embarrassed by the fact that the U.S. has won the last few meaningful one to one battles and they don't feel like they are quite measuring up in the locker room. A man who thinks you are making fun of his penis is very dangerous. Insecure men are the most dangerous animals on the planet.

hugs

Joel

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

Julie,

You must be joking!!! Have you ever tried to reason with a fundamentalist?? Go have a conversation with Rex and get back to me.

Evidence indeed. This is no court of law friend, this is the court of world opinion. Do you think the entire world is wrong and only the Taliban and bin Ladin are in the right?

Who said anything about Osama being right? Well apparently Julie, a lot of people in this world think the U.S. should pursue every diplomatic option before bombs fall. Heres a little international LAW for you too:

Bush's war plans likely to violate international law

SIDDHARTH VARADARAJAN

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

EW DELHI: Though it is too early to predict the shape of Operation Infinite Justice, the US would probably be violating international law if it attacks Afghanistan or any other country.

Article 2(4) of the UN Charter prohibits the use of force except in two circumstances. The first, where the UN Security Council authorises the use of force under Chapter VII of the Charter. And the second, where a country resorts to self-defence in the face of an armed attack.

The UN Security Council has twice passed resolutions (1267 of 1998 and 1333 of 1999) calling on the Taliban to hand over Osama bin Laden to either a country where he has been indicted or to one where he will be brought to justice. Though these resolutions were passed under Chapter VII and impose sanctions on the Taliban, they do not authorise the use of force against the regime by any country.

In the absence of a resolution specifically authorising force, the Taliban's refusal to hand over bin Laden cannot legally be construed as grounds for Washington to attack Afghanistan. Even if a UN mandate exists, it would be illegal to put civilians and civilian infrastructure in harm's way.

What about self-defence? Though Article 51 of the UN Charter allows a country to defend itself against an armed attack, the US would have to conform to the International Court of Justice's landmark ruling on the scope of Article 51 contained in its Nicaragua judgment of 1986. The ICJ defined an armed attack as either an event in which one State directly sends troops into another or "the sending by or on behalf of a State of armed bands...which carry out acts of armed force against another State...(amounting to) actual armed attack by regular forces".

The attacks in New York and Washington clearly constitute an act of armed force committed by armed bands. However, in order to justify attacking Afghanistan, the US would at the very least have to prove both that Bin Laden was responsible and that he acted 'on or behalf of" the Taliban government of Afghanistan.

According to Prof Louis Henkin, one of the most distinguished US scholars of international law, the right of self-defence enshrined in Article 51 is "limited to cases of armed attack that are generally beyond doubt; a state's responsibility for acts of terrorism is rarely beyond doubt and difficult to prove...Article 51 gives a right...to defend against an armed attack. This right does not allow retaliation for armed attacks...or (force) to deter future attacks".

That is why the US has held it would be illegal for India to attack terrorist camps in Pakistan or for Milosevic's Yugoslavia to have gone after KLA bases in northern Albania.

Prof Henkin writes that "a state that has been the victim of an act of terrorism will have to pursue other remedies against states that it believes responsible and against the states that encourage, promote, condone, or tolerate terrorism or provide a haven to terrorists".

So far, the US has not pursued other remedies. It has not moved the UN, nor has it responded to the Taliban statement that they would extradite bin Laden given proof of his involvement in last week's terrorist attacks. The Taliban may be bluffing, but international law requires the US to seek peaceful resolution of the crisis and not resort to the unilateral use of force.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Giving women the vote in the US is what got us Bill Clinton and almost got us Al Gore! Please!

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• julien
    julien

I want a bumper sticker that says

Bin Laden has a 3 inch dick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit