An Unsolicited Letter from a JW

by Thirdson 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Here's something you may like to know and could advise on. My wife called me at work today to say she received something interesting in the mail. Her non-profit foundation received a brochure in the mail from a private individual. The brochure is Will There Ever Be a World Without War? published by the Watchtower Society.

(The foundation my wife works for provides community services in the form of after school programs, reading programs, computer literacy, health care and legal clinics in an inner city neighborhood. It is affiliated with the Methodist Church but itself is funded through private donations with the bulk of the income coming from corporate grants or donations from other philanthropic foundations. )

The brochure is the one with a picture of the statue from outside the United Nations Headquarters of a man beating a sword into a plowshare. My wife's first question to me was, "I thought the JWs hated the UN and thought it to be an evil tools of the devil?" On reading through the brochure I found it contains deceptive language about JW expectations of 1914. The brochure states on page 30

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that this great composite sign has been in evidence since 1914, when "the appointed times of the nations" came to their end. Long before that time they had been announcing that 1914 would be a marked date in human history. When the first world war began in August of that year, their expectations on that were confirmed. In reality, none of the Witnesses had received any divine visions; it was their diligent study of the Holy Scriptures that led them to this conclusion.

Quite the contrary JWs had no divine vision and their expectations were dashed when the world failed to end in 1914. As for diligent Bible study, they got it all wrong as they believed in 1914 that the last days began in 1799, that Jesus was enthroned in 1874 and that pyramidology was used to corroborate the dates.

Then on page 31 the brochure states this about the 1914 generation:

3 The same prophecy of Jesus that gave the sign of the last days also highlighted the nearness of God's intervention. Jesus said: "This generation [the generation of 1914 that witnessed the end of "the appointed times"] will by no means pass away until all these things occur." (Matthew 24:34; Luke 21:24, NW) That generation is very near to passing away. Yes, now is the time of decision for all mankind! Now, in these last days, or "end of days," (JP) we must choose whether we will 'go up to the mountain of Jehovah' to be 'instructed in His ways' or not.

Well, that's all changed now. So here's my question. I have the persons return address. Should I send the brochure back highlighting all the errors admitted by the WTS along with some details about real Bible Student beliefs in 1914. Since the brochure is covered with UN illustrations should I provide "new Light" on the WTS involvement with man's last hope for peace and concord?

What do you all think?

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• tdogg
    tdogg

Would that be like calling a telemarketer back to tell them how crappy the thing they tried to sell you was?

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Thirdson,

thanks for the post. A very interesting

one. Btw, a while ago I did post something about WTS publications

showing in their own web site, containing parts about the famous

" 1914 generation " and " Jesus words ..." about it!

I do agree with you, what a shame, a deceitful way to " teach

about God's word "! There was also the phrase "No doubt you have

confirmed for yourself that each point is based on God's inspired

Word"!!!(Look...)

Btw the two publications - brochures - are :

" Look !I Am Making All Things New" p. 26-27

and "What is the purpose of life? How can you find it? "

- the quotes about " the generation of 1914.." are on pages

27-28 ยงยง11- 16 after the subheading " How close are we ?"

In conclusion after the " changes " on November 1995, almost

6 YEARS after, not only they still give away the brochures but

they still show on their web site!!!