Guinn v. Church of Christ/Invasion of Privacy/Mental anguish/

by Atlantis 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

(Please delete if already posted).

This case could also apply to the Watchtower elders!

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?citeid=10494 MARIAN GUINN, PLAINTIFF-APPELLEE,
    v.
    THE CHURCH OF CHRIST OF COLLINSVILLE, OKLAHOMA, A NON-PROFIT CORPORATION; ALLEN CASH, TED MOODY AND RON WITTEN, DEFENDANTS-APPELLANTS.

On appeal from the District Court, Tulsa County; Tony M. Graham, Judge.

invasion of privacy Parishioner recovered actual and punitive damages from the three Elders and from the Collinsville Church of Christ.3 Parishioner alleged in her claim of outrage that when disciplining her the Elders employed methods which caused her emotional anguish. Her claim of invasion of privacy was cast in two theories. Firstly, Parishioner asserted the Elders intrudedupon her seclusion by carrying out against her religious disciplinary measures which were highly offensive, unreasonable and intrusive.

Secondly, Parishioner claimed the Elders unreasonably publicized private facts about her life by communicating her transgressions to the Collinsville and the four other area Church of Christ congregations. After overruling the Elders' demurrers and their motion for summary judgment, the trial court submitted the case to the jury; its verdict was in favor of Parishioner and against each of the three individual Elders.

The parties stipulated the Elders were at all times acting as agents of the Church of Christ corporation and thus the trial court found the judgment against the Elders also was a judgment against the Collinsville Church of Christ.

The jury awarded $205,000 in actual and $185,000 in punitive damages; the trial court then added $44,737 in prejudgment interest. Nevada-

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I find this quite interesting Atlantis and thanks for posting it.

The witnesses by virtue of their disfellowshipping procedures and reinstatement processes are disruptive, intrusive, prejudicial and destructive on all levels. I can think of any number of cases where a df'd person is forced to relive the whole issue of their (alleged) wrongdoing and confess over and again in order to be judged as truly repentant and reinstated. Some of these 'sins' can be extremely embarassing and stressful to the person and there is no purpose served in having to rehash details of the past. Yet they insist. I'm sure we all know of the spy tactics that are used to ferret out the unclean from the congregation as well - what more stress can be added to a person when realizing that it's not Jehovah that's watching all you do but the 'friends' that sit beside you at the meetings? Maybe this will open the door a little for every person thats been df'd and had their issues discussed with other elders, lost their job because of the treatment, lost their families on direction from the society - sammieswife.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Invasion of privacy. That's how to get them! Everyone has right to privacy, religious priveledge or not.

• metatron
    metatron

I wish.

I think this was the case that forced them to stop announcing the reason why someone was being disfellowshipped

such as adultery. This case happened in the 80's, didn't it?

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit