Defining what or who the "Society" re...

by Pathofthorns 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

A post on H20 raised interesting questions regarding "the society", and one of the responses I found particularly interesting.

I don't think many witnesses actually understand what or who exactly the "society" is, they just know its some authority that they must listen to, on par with God.

When people reply that it is simply the legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses to further the Word of God, the average Witness knows there is much more to this in reality.

[url] http://www.cyberpass.net/~h2o/wwwboard/messages/295948.html[/url]
    [url] http://www.cyberpass.net/~h2o/wwwboard/messages/295960.html[/url]

Path

• Martini
    Martini

Greetings Path,

I suppose saying 'the Society' is for JW's like an American
    saying 'the WhiteHouse,Washington or Capitol Hill says...' or Canadians saying 'Ottawa,Parliment etc says'...In other words regardless of who is in power,any decision, so long as it officially comes from 'the Society' is considered the final word on the matter tantamount to Jehovah himself made the pronouncement.

Of course now you and I know 'the Society' is the little man behind the curtain as in "the Wizard of Oz".:)

Martini.

• kpax
    kpax

I see.

• mommy
    mommy

Hey Path
    I have to agree with Martini, it is the ultimate authority. What bothers me the most, even when I was in, is they want it both ways. They want the society to be the mouthpiece for god, but make excuses for it as imperfect men when things go wrong. IMO you are either all knowing or you are not. I think once a person figures out that the mouthpiece may have some quirks, and logically think about that, they are starting on their own journey out. You can't accept some information and discard the rest. This does not make sense to me. Perhaps that is why I am out.

On a side note...I was having the DF discussion with my mom the other day. My view is that the men have no right to interfere between a person and their god. An imperfect man is not capable of judging repentance IMO. My mother strongly disagreed and said that the elders can determine repentance, by the person's actions. She pulled several scenarios out of her hat explaining how important it was to have elders decide who is to be associating with the members.

The kicker was when I asked her about a person in a JC meeting, who was actually not repentant, just good actors and they were allowed to be reinstated. Her reply...That is between them and Jehovah.

Of course that was my point all along! You can't have it both ways, life doesn't work like that. Sometimes it takes awhile for people to figure that out, then again, there are 6 million people who haven't figured it out yet...how sad
    wendy

Blind faith can justify anything.~Richard Dawkins

• blondie
    blondie

In the midst of fighting being called a sect in countries such as France, the WTS provided this information to "clear up" any confusion as to what "the Society" is. Has anyone still actively attached to the JWs seen any change in the vocabulary of the members?

Watchtower 3/15/98 pages 18-19 Living Up to Christian Dedication in Freedom ***
    JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES believe that their religion will last forever. They therefore anticipate serving God “with spirit and truth” for all eternity. (John 4:23, 24) As free moral agents, these Christians have made an unreserved dedication to Jehovah God and are determined to live up to it. To that end, they rely on God’s Word and on his holy spirit. As they wholeheartedly pursue their course of Christian dedication in God-given freedom, the Witnesses show due respect for the role of governmental “superior authorities” and make proper use of legal means and provisions. (Romans 13:1; James 1:25) For instance, the Witnesses use the Watch Tower Society as a legal instrument—one of many in various lands—to enable them to accomplish their work of helping fellow humans, especially in spiritual ways. But the Witnesses are dedicated to God, not to any legal agency, and their dedication to Jehovah will last forever.

2 As servants dedicated to God, Jehovah’s Witnesses are obligated to follow Jesus’ instructions to “make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) This work will continue until the end of the system of things, for Jesus also said: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:3, 14) Each year, printing plants of the Watch Tower Society and similar legal bodies supply Jehovah’s Witnesses with millions of Bibles, books, brochures, and magazines for use in their worldwide preaching activity. These legal entities are therefore invaluable in helping dedicated servants of God to live up to their dedication to him.

3 Someone may argue that the way the Witnesses speak about the Watch Tower Society—or more often just “the Society”—indicates that they view it as more than a legal instrument. Do they not consider it to be the final authority on matters of worship? The book Jehovah’s Witnesses—Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom clarifies this point by explaining: “When The Watchtower [June 1, 1938] referred to ‘The Society,’ this meant, not a mere legal instrumentality, but the body of anointed Christians that had formed that legal entity and used it.” The expression therefore stood for “the faithful and discreet slave.” (Matthew 24:45) It is in this sense that the Witnesses generally used the term “the Society.” Of course, the legal corporation and “the faithful and discreet slave” are not interchangeable terms. Directors of the Watch Tower Society are elected, whereas Witnesses who make up ‘the faithful slave’ are anointed by Jehovah’s holy spirit.

4 In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, “the Society teaches,” many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, “the Bible says” or, “I understand the Bible to teach.” In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect. Of course, suggestions as regards terminology should never become a subject of controversy. After all, terminology is of importance only to the extent that it prevents misunderstandings. Christian balance is required. The Bible admonishes us “not to fight about words.” (2 Timothy 2:14, 15) The Scriptures also state this principle: “Unless you through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken?”—1 Corinthians 14:9.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit