Twenty four elders?

by Anony-Mouse 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

I dunno if this is just me or what but....

I have never heard of this!

Nearing 17 years...and just recently the words "Twenty-four elders" has popped up 3 or 4 times.

Are the 24 elders the gods...I mean rulers...murders....ummm....the boss folk of JWness?

Never heard this phrase...

• bebu
    bebu

I'm new to this phrase too. I mean, it's in Revelation, so I'm familiar with it there. I'm just unfamiliar with the doctrine the WTS is spinning from it--sounds like an avenue for new light coming here? It'd help if someone could explain what this is all about...

bebu

• geevee
    geevee

You both need to get out your revelation climax books, there was a bit in that on the 24, how and who......

• mzliz
    mzliz

I tossed all of my books a while ago to be able to look this one up. I was wondering about this as well since someone mentioned it in one of the threads, anyone going to help us???

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

The 24 Elders were explained as the 144,000 in their complete sense once all had died and in heaven. There has recently been a few threads showing that they have changed their position on this.

steve

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, according to the WTS the "24 elders" is just another way of saying the 144,000.

144,000 divided by 24 = 6,000.

*** it-2 p. 551 Older Man ***

In ancient Israel, "older men [elders] of Israel" represented and spoke for the entire nation. (Ex 3:16; 19:7) In the same way "elders" may stand for, or represent, the entire congregation of spiritual Israel. Therefore, the 24 elders seated on thrones about God might well represent the entire body of anointed Christians who, proving faithful till death, receive the promised reward of a heavenly resurrection and thrones near that of Jehovah. (Re 3:21) The number 24 is also significant, for this was the number of the divisions into which King David organized the priests to serve at Jerusalem’s temple. The anointed Christians are to be "a royal priesthood."—1Pe 2:9; 1Ch 24:1-19; Lu 1:5-23, 57-66; Re 20:6; see OVERSEER.

*** w88 12/15 p. 20 "Fear God and Give Him Glory" ***

For the present, enough of those beasts! In refreshing contrast, theninthvision focuses on the Lamb. He stands on Mount Zion, with the 144,000 that he buys as firstfruits from among mankind. Though some of these still serve on earth, in a spiritual sense all 144,000 have "approached a Mount Zion and . . . heavenly Jerusalem." (Hebrews 12:22) Appropriately, the 24 elders are also seen here before God’s throne, for they picture the same anointed group from a different standpoint—as already raised and installed as kings and priests.

• Legolas
    Legolas
    144,000 divided by 24 = 6,000.

Blondie what does that have to do with?...Is the 6000 something new?

• blondie
    blondie

No, just see that it divides evenly. Actually the 24 priestly divisions is a more appropriate number. I'm just posting what the WTS teaches and has been said from the platform. One brother was always talking about how the numbers were divisible by 12 and 24 and he would say this. I never got it either.

12 tribes x 12,000 individuals = 144,000 from Revelation 7 (I think).

• La Capra
    La Capra

Six is significant because it is the number of creative days. Then they multiply everything by 1000. But aren't JWs prohibited from "numerology." Declaring a particular number as significant smacks of number worship, or something ominous or prophetic or whatever. My 24 cents. Shoshana

• M.J.
    M.J.

So...twenty four is symbolic but 144,000 isn't?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit