Is God a Stinker?

by slimboyfat 1 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have finished The God Delusion myself. It has many good passages, but I thought I would share a light-hearted comment Dawkins makes against one of the rather fascile "proofs" for God offered by Thomas Aquinas:

"4 The Argument from Degree. We notice that things in the world differ. There are degrees of, say, goodness or perfection. But we judge these degrees only by comparison with a maximum. Humans can be both good and bad, so the maximum goodness cannot rest in us. Therefore there must be some other maximum to set the standard for perfection, and we call that maximum God.

That's an argument? You might as well say, people vary in smelliness but we can make comparison only by reference to a perfect maximum of conceivable smelliness. Therefore there must exist a pre-eminently peerless stinker, and we call him God. Or substitute any dimension of comparison you like, and derive an equivalently fatuous conclusion."

Slim

• XU
    XU

He stunk up a good part of my life. I've been a year behind in watching Lost so I'm near the end of Season 2 where Hurley is eating peanut butter and seeing things. It reminds me of how real I thought the delusion was that my parents fed me. How could those people take a little curious kid and answer all her serious questions with WT quotes instead of honest research? God, I think my parents are sick. I was so into my delusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit