I think our fade is in jeopardy

by Cellist 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Cellist
    Cellist

Today, after lunch, two JWs stopped by to offer us the latest magazines. My husband was the one who answered the door, I was getting ready for work. He invited them in for a good talk, but they refused. The Watchtower was the one on the Antichrist and the Awake is "Jesus who was he?". He told them that belief in Jesus is a grown up version of Santa Claus. He said that not one prophecy has come true and challenged them to come up with one that did come true. Of course, they had nothing to say to that. He also told them that Adam and Eve is a fairy tale, that humans are progressing along just the way they're meant to. Then he disagreed with them on whether the world is getting worse or not. He ended by telling them to examine their beliefs and not just follow them blindly. I'm not sure if they were aware of who we are, but if they are aware, I'm sure the elders will be calling next. Even though he was mostly just trying to get them going, I'm sure that an announcement might not be too far away.

Of course, the first picture in the first study article is of the widow dropping her money in the collection box. Not very subtle, are they?

Cellist

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Well at least you are are a team. Will it be a hardship for you if you are DF'd? Do you have much family in?

• Cellist
    Cellist

I don't have any JW relatives, never did have. My husband has a couple left in. It would no longer be a hardship if we were ousted. Our employment is no longer tied in with them and the one relative that would've made life akward has been dead for a few years. So, let them do their worst!

We don't know for sure if they're aware of who we are. It's been about 13 years since the elders have called on us. But, this isn't a very big area.

Cellist

• Backed away
    Backed away

Hi Cellist,

Your Husband handled the visit well, it's nice to see the witnesses uncomfortable instead of the "householder". if family isn't a issue, your fortunate there, I say who cares. I faded mainly due to it being easier for both sides as I have a elderly mother and one ill sister and I want to help out where and whenever i can.

Keep us posted and good luck if the lynch mob comes a callin...

• Cellist
    Cellist

Hi Backed Away,
    Besides our employment at the time we faded, it was an elderly family member who was our main reason for fading quietly. We moved shortly after our fade and I don't think the local congregation has our publisher cards. There were a number of JWs who tried to get imformation out of us when we first moved here, but we dodged the questions and refused to name the congregation who held our cards. If they really wanted to exert themselves, they could have tracked down our cards. The C.O. and P.O. called on us that year too. After about a year they all gave up on us. I'm kind of curious to see what happens now.

Cellist

• gumby
    gumby
    If they really wanted to exert themselves, they could have tracked down our cards.

Typical story.

The witnesses can't count their time with people like you and hubby. They have never been ones to "leave the 99 in search for the lost sheep". They are losing thousands because of this same attitide as they feel their time spent in the ministry means more to Jehovah than gaining back someone who has gone stray. Your fortunate that you'll not be at a family loss if you are DFed.

Gumby

• restrangled
    restrangled

It sounds to me as if you're probably OK. They were scared off by your husband's view points and probably didn't want to deal with beliefs that most don't know how to handle anymore. They have dumbed down so much over the years,.... all they know how to do is hand out tracts.

r.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Gumby, yes we are fortunate that it'll have little effect on us now.

restrangled, Yes, they definitely didn't want to get drawn into a conversation. It was freezing cold out and they still didn't want to come inside. We would have jumped at the chance offered to them! A chance to sit down in a warm home, drinking coffee, eating cookies and having a rousing good Biblical conversation. But, like you said, they're so dumbed down now that they can't defend themselves anymore. Just hand over the magazines and run.

They left magazines with our neighbour also. My husband was over there later that day and asked them if the JWs had been by. They had. So, he had a good conversation with the neighbour about it anyway, even if the two sisters didn't want to talk. hehehe

Cellist

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Cellist,

Makes me glad that I, a fader of recent times, live in a gated community! NO calls of any sort from elders during my 6-month absense, though I've known most of them for thirty years. Who knows what the morrow will bring?

My minor in Conservatory was cello---what do you think of Jacqueline DuPre'?

Cello-ocity,

Compound-Complex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit