How would you respond?

by mole 2 Replies latest jw friends

• mole
    mole

I have been "inactive" for the past 12 years. With the recent events, my mom decides to send me this letter as she can not carry on a dialog about things that normal families talk about. I know she thinks she is looking out for her son's best interests for I used to feel as she does about anyone who leaves da "troot." I know many who post here are and have faced the same situation but I am not quite sure how to answer her letter. If she knew how I really felt about this religion she would probably end up going off the deep end which I have seen happen to so many who try to live the JW lifestyle. I will share the letter.

Dear John,
    Decided to write a few lines tonight about something that weighs heavy on my heart. Its hard for me to find the right words to encourage you all (wife and my two daughters) to come to the meetings.
    Like it says at 2 Timothy 3 "critical times hard to deal with" are here now. Your girls need all the spiritual strength that they can draw on from the meetings, as well as your guidance and direction at home to help them withstand all the pressures they're facing at school.
    Jehovah expects you, John, to bring up the girls in his "mental regulating" does he not? (Eph. 6:4) Please pay attention to this most serious obligation! The world can't offer you anything (refering to my decision to go back to college at age 37)- It will, and is, passing away! (1 John 2:17)

Sincerely, and with Love,

Ma
    I get these letters when her verbal guilt trips are having no effect.
    Any suggestions as to a response?

• dedalus
    dedalus

Mole,

I've been writing letters to my father for months, debating in detail points of contention, pleading in every voice I can to invoke my simple cause: that he's my father and I'm his son, simple as that. To no avail.

So my recommendation to you is this: respond with a letter telling your mum hello, that you miss her, that the girls miss her, that you love her. Include some nonreligious anecdotes from your life. Share a fond nonreligious memory. And ignore every stupid thing she just wrote to you, realizing that she can't help it. Act like she never said anything about "critical times" and "spiritual strength," knowing that she meant well in her own misguided way.

She'll hold onto the hope that her words are secretly growing in your brain, and meanwhile, you just may not exacerbate the situation.

Dedalus

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Depends on if you want to 'get into it' with her or not. If you want to take the high road a simple "Thanks for the thoughts Mom, but me and my family are perfectly happy and content right how we are". At least you acknowlegde the thought/concern, however warped it might be.

On the other hand, there is PLENTY of material on this site and others that you could launch into a full blown attack on the WTBTS if you wanted Maybe start with asking her why "Jehovah" would want you to teach your children about an org who was a part of the 'wild beast'? See threads related to WTBTS being a UN NGO for detail... there's plenty more.

Good luck either way - I'm waiting for the day when my parents hit me with one of these guilt letters too ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit