Connections between blood transfusion and sexual repression in the Victorian Age.

by dropoffyourkeylee 5 Replies latest watchtower medical

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Here is an interesting essay (seems to have been written by a college student) which explores the topics of sexual repression and its relationship to blood and blood transfusions featured in the 1897 book Dracula:

The Importance of Blood during the Victorian Era: Blood as a Sexual Signifier in Bram Stoker’s Dracula by By Nilifer Pektas

http://sh.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:16204/FULLTEXT01.pdf

Since many of the WT leaders (notably Fred Franz) were born or grew up in this time period, this sheds some light on how they may have been preconditioned to view blood.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I actually read the whole thing, and despite some awkward phrasing (the author not a native English speaker?), there appears to be a good argument for blood being a literary surrogate for sex in the Victorian era.

Dracula was written in 1897. I don't know when Fred Franz was born, but this equivalency might have stuck in the popular imagination for several more decades.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Actually, the connection of the vampire horror stories and sex has been written about before, so the author of the essay referred to in the OP isn't original in that respect. But he or she does make more of a specific connection to blood transfusions than I have read before.

Thanks for commenting. I think for some reason the WT leaders in the 30's and 40's had a gut level abhorrence of blood transfusions without really understanding why. It is quite possible that it was a subconscious feeling on their part that was based on sexual repression.

For the record, Fred Franz was born in 1893, Rutherford in 1869.

• TD
    TD

Since many of the WT leaders (notably Fred Franz) were born or grew up in this time period, this sheds some light on how they may have been preconditioned to view blood.

Interesting read, and the perceived connection to sexuality in the Victorian Era can't be denied.

However Franz' primary objection to transfusion was a different misconception about blood from the same time period

In his 1898 novel, War Of The Worlds, H.G. Wells depicted the earth under attack by a race that had evolved past the need of eating to obtain nourishment. These beings, in fact, had no digestive organs of any sort:

"Entrails they had none. They did not eat, much less digest. Instead, they took the fresh, living blood of other creatures and injected it into their veins…..The physiological advantages of the practice of injection are undeniable, if one thinks of the tremendous waste of human time and energy occasioned by eating and the digestive process. Our bodies are half made up of glands and tubes and organs, occupied in turning heterogeneous food into blood." (Emphasis Mine)

The mistaken belief that our bodies convert food directly to blood and that blood is the food upon which we are internally sustained was the basis for connecting transfusion to Biblical injunctions against eating blood.

There are lots of examples that could be cited where this connection is most clear. Here is one from the July 1, 1951 issue of The Watchtower on page 415:

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    TD, I had completely forgotten about HG Wells's comments. He was very well known at the time.
  • kaik
    kaik
    Dracula stories were popular in the middle of the 19th century, and there were short stories published and circulated in Germany, Austria, and Hungary as early as 1830's. Stories of Blood princess or count of Bathory based on the true historical event was published already in 1817.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit