Have you ever used...

by Shazard 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shazard
    Shazard

... claims or arguments you don't believe yourself against JW? For example, being IDist (intelligent design) use arguments from evolution against JW. Or something like that?

• Clam
    Clam

Yes I know what you mean Shazard. As far as the door knocking JWs are concerned, I think their whole approach often puts people into the devil's advocate mode. For instance they ask you if you agree that the world is in a terrible state. It is in a terrible state but it's easy to argue with them that this has always been the case and that in many respects the world is a better place now than it ever was. Any devil's advocate role you adopt doesn't, almost by definition need personal conviction from you that you are right.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Clam:

Any devil's advocate role you adopt doesn't, almost by definition need personal conviction from you that you are right.

Though it does require a working knowledge of both views and the determination to argue it rigorously. Otherwise it's just weak play-acting that everyone soon tires of.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I made a vow to myself to never again do that. I used to do that as a JW. I would argue in support of the WT when I knew better arguments against them. Renee

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I remember a study that my old MIL had. We became friends and she would ask me great questions that I couldn't answer...but wondered about myself. We went to the elders to get an answer from them since I couldn't find one in the reasoning book....well their answer was "Wait on Jehovah" for the answer. I wish I had seen through it all then. She became a JW and I left...she told me she hated me at that point. SOOOO SAD....although I would probably hate me too.....for getting out and leaving her in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit