Of dinosaurs and babies

by Moxy 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Moxy
    Moxy

i had mistakenly made a comment about the flood picture in the original edition of the bible story book showing a dinosaur. after i made it, i remembered that it wasnt another edition of the book, but another instance of the same pic in another publication, the Enjoy Life brochure. lets compare and discuss:

heres the Enjoy Life pic:

heres the Bible Story pic (cant scan the binding without cutting up the pages which i dont really wanna do)

now i had always just assumed that the Enjoy Life was the original pic and the Bible Story one was altered because of an obvious oldtimers relic, DINOSAURS in the flood! heres a bit of a blow-up:

this fellow in the foreground is easy to make out and i dont know what else he could be but a kind of Tyranosaurus, altho comically small in scale, compared to the unfortunate fellow next to him. farther on, theres a glimpse of another beast thats harder to make out:

but in the original, it looks most like the head and neck of a brontosaurus-type beast. (what happened to the aquatic dinosaurs, anyways??) There's also a bunch of nondescript detritus along the middle that doesnt appear in the Bible Story pic.

Ok, so now heres the question:

which came first and why? the Enjoy Life brochure has a later publication date (1982) than the Bible Stories (1978) altho the Bible Stories has later reprinted im sure, because i distinctly remember the original using an crappy pre-four-colour printing method, but i dont have the original and its not mentioned in the copyright. So we're left with 2 choices. Either, somebody wanted to spruce up the original photo with some more creatues and was so far behind on his palaeontology that he figured he could throw in some dinsaurs and there was no problem. i find it far more likely that the dinsosaurs were removed from the original but then were left with this heart wrenching image of the woman on the rock clutching her infant! did someone ADD that into the childrens version, figuring they needed some disturbing images to scare these little tykes straight?! either way, i find the puzzle of these altered images baffling.

mox

• detective
    detective

I believe the small picture of the dinosaur in the distance is none other than the famous "Nessie". Maybe they'll throw big foot into some future drawings?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit