San Diego, CA October 7 Supplementary Meeting

by AMNESIAN 9 Replies latest jw friends

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Word began circulating yesterday that the October 7th event scheduled for Qualcomm Stadium (where Chargers football team plays) might be cancelled due to problems already created by NFL's need to re-schedule aborted games as a result of terrorist attacks. Mind you, there has been no official announcement but word is circulating---not among r&f but among elders who, of course, are yakking.

Odd, I recall a time when the Society was so efficient that it would've already arranged for and been announcing contingency plans and replacement locations before any such buzz could hit the streets---especially since the event is less than 2 weeks away and many have had to make out-of-town lodging arrangements.

This being reported anywhere else as yet?

-AMNESIAN

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Word began circulating yesterday that the October 7th event scheduled for Qualcomm Stadium

If it goes off, can you get me a ticket? I'd like to go! Qualcomm is only about 2 miles from where I live. Or is this NOT one of those "special" invitation-only assemblies scheduled for this fall?

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Moxy
    Moxy

im sure it is. i mentioned this problem yesterday in a post. apparently the arrangements here were curtailed at least, from a large major league sports stadium to a smaller one. lets cut the society some slack here tho. its not everyday stuff like this happens. everyones schedules have been thrown for a loop.

mox

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN
    lets cut the society some slack here tho. its not everyday stuff like this happens. everyones schedules have been thrown for a loop.

Puh-leeze. It's not a matter of whether to extend or cut slack. Nothing was intended as a slam. My comment was and is simply that it was once almost unheard of for the Society to fail to be ahead of street buzz with a contingency plan. In the same vein, I am not personally aware of any time in the past lapel badges had to be returned for replacement because they went out with a mis-spelling! YMMV.

-AMNESIAN

• Moxy
    Moxy

true, the badge card recall was a bit odd. but the paranoia was certainly not unprecedented. and they have been fighting a losing battle against the 'street buzz' for a few years now, what with email and all. in this case tho, im imagining they announced the meeting at Qualcomm and then the SDC released an updated sched with oct 7 in use and then, well, any joe can put 2 and 2 together. hard to stay ahead of that. but yes, in general, i agree that the street buzz is gaining an edge over the 'official' channels.

mox

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Moxy, I appreciate your comments and realize what I left out of my own that may have helped to convey why I found it so odd that the buzz here preceded the officials.

The elders who set the chatter in motion in these parts have trouble operating their radios, much less an email program or anything PC-internet related. One is nearly 70 and another in his 80s and neither the "with it" kind of senior who keeps himself abreast of any information technologies or sporting events matters (or anything else, for that matter, including the Watchtower and Awake). The third, also in his 80s and, though still sharp as can be, still would have little access to any WTS news of anything outside official channels. It struck me as quite the rare occurrence in the past in the organization that such a significant piece of info would be had by the likes of any of these three via other than official means and without simultaneous information to disseminate regarding the Society's re-arrangements. Whether 'tis nobler to giveth or taketh away slack, things clearly are not as tight and efficient at HQ as in times past.

-AMNESIAN

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Amnesian, those elders you refer too. wouldn't be in the Spring Valley congregation would they. I know they or some were very old and set in thier ways and about as technology minded as a crow. Buff

Farkel, would that be San Carlos, Mission Valley, La Mesa, San diego proper, or???? buff

They can always go up to the Hall (super one they built up around Fontana Mira Loma if I remember correctly???)

• r51785
    r51785

Farkel, I thought you lived in OB! That is further than two miles from the Q! I used to live in La Mirage at the corner of I-15 and Friars Rd, up on the hill. It was great for watching the Sky Show. Now I no longer live in San Diego, but I work next store to that Mira Loma Assembly Hall. Small world.

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

My, my, my,

Small world indeed!

CornerStone

• Farkel
    Farkel

buffalosrfree,

: Farkel, would that be San Carlos, Mission Valley, La Mesa, San diego proper, or???? buff

Well, San Carlos is over thirty miles Northeast of the stadium. La Mesa is 6 or so miles east of the stadium. I live in Normal Heights now, just off of Adams Ave. As the crow flies, I'm less than 3 miles away from Murphy (Qualcomm [uggh]) Stadium.

r51785,

: Farkel, I thought you lived in OB! That is further than two miles from the Q! I used to live in La Mirage at the corner of I-15 and Friars Rd, up on the hill. It was great for watching the Sky Show

I'm west of I-15, r51787, and South of Friars Road, but I'm very close to where you used to live.

I did live in OB until a few months ago. The AVERAGE rent in San Diego is now $1,000 per month. OB/Point Loma is much higher and way beyond my budget. I saw the Sky Show this year from directly across Mission Valley. I have a friend who has a house on Cromwell street which is on the South Canyon rim DIRECTLY across from Murphy Stadium. It was like having the Sky Show in your front yard. Just turn on the radio for the music, sit on a lawn chair and enjoy!

BTW, I rode my bike this morning to Beth Sarim. It takes me exactly 15 minutes to get there by bicycle. I did my homage as I do about once per month. Today, the garage door was open and I gazed upon that concrete floor. The former owner of Beth Sarim (Dr. Chan) claimed that JFR was buried beneath that same concrete floor. Eeerie.

I also rode around the corner to Middlesex Ave. From that vista one can look at the backside of Beth Sarim and clearly see the above-ground burial chamber that was built for Da Judge. It's about half-way down the mountain. I'll take some pictures and post them.

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit