Wikipedia

by reneeisorym 2 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I'm suprised every time I look at Wikipedia. I have to say that I was impressed by this today. Its the first time I've seen them tackle the issues we have (in regular brainwashing style) and not just avoid them. I think i lost a few points of IQ reading it though. I almost believed it .. LOL ... then I came back to earth shortly after.

One of the most outspoken critics of Jehovah's Witnesses is Raymond Franz, a former third-generation Jehovah's Witness. Franz, who served nine years on the Governing Body, uses Galatians 1:16–20 to support his claim that Paul of Tarsus did not view the apostles in Jerusalem as a governing body. He further contends that the council of Jerusalem was an isolated event, and that the creation of a central authority in Christianity was a 4th century development. [93] As well, he argues a sense of guilt is imposed on those not complying with organization arrangements for field service. Further, he contends that engaging in this formal activity became an extra-scriptural requirement placed upon those wanting to qualify for eldership. Time spent helping fellow members cannot be counted toward time spent in the ministry. He claims in addition that an individual's spirituality is judged by the elders on this basis. Further, he is critical of the application of the phrase "house to house" (gr. "kat' oikon") found at Acts 5:42, stating it does not require the idea of consecutive door-to-door visitation. He compares 27 Bible translations, for Acts 2:46, Acts 5:42 and Acts 20:20 showing phrases such as "at home", "at your houses" and "in your homes" are used more often than "house to house". [94] He also maintains that fear of being shunned and/or family break-up/loss causes people to nominally remain members rather than formally disassociate themselves. Also, Franz asserts that the judicial process itself, due to its private and nearly autonomous nature, directly contradicts the precedent found in the Bible and the organization's own teachings, and can be used in an arbitrary manner. [95]

According to a peer-reviewed article published in 2005 in Journal of Church and State, Jehovah's Witnesses are allowed to accept blood provided it is in the form of blood fractions. Kerry Louderback-Wood, the author, alleges that labeling the currently acceptable blood fractions as "minute" in relation to whole blood causes followers to misunderstand the scope and extent of allowed fractions. She also claims that Witness publications misrepresent the medical risks of taking blood and the efficacy of non-blood medical therapies in critical situations. [96]

Criticism regarding the procedures on reporting child abuse has also occurred. The current procedure that is followed when allegations of abuse are reported is based on a strict application of the principle at Deuteronomy 18:15: "No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin, in the case of any sin that he may commit. At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good" (New World Translation). If an allegation of child abuse is made, and the alleged perpetrator denies it, the local congregational elders will investigate to see if there can be any others who can substantiate the claim. If there are none, the elders do not disfellowship the accused individual. However, according to the Jehovah's Witness office of Public information: "Even if the elders cannot take congregational action, they are expected to report the allegation to the branch office of Jehovah's Witnesses in their country, if local privacy laws permit. In addition to making a report to the branch office, the elders may be required by law to report even uncorroborated or unsubstantiated allegations to the authorities. If so, we expect the elders to comply. Additionally, the victim may wish to report the matter to the authorities, and it is his or her absolute right to do so." [97] However, the Watchtower organization's policy does not always actively encourage victims of child molestation to report alleged perpetrators to authorities. Accordingly, critics claim a number of charges have gone unreported. For over a decade now, Watchtower has had in place a general policy of making known child molesters ineligible for special congregational responsibilities (e.g. serving as elders or ministerial servants (deacons)), even if the crime was committed years before, or even prior to the person's becoming a Witness. Internal Watchtower documents do show there are exceptions to this policy, however. [98] The general policy is not premised as punishment to the offender, but rather as a means of protecting the congregation's members. Critics would have the Watchtower organization embrace a policy whereby its appointed representatives would always encourage victims of child molestation to report the crime to authorities.

[ edit ] Controversy

Main article: Controversies regarding Jehovah's Witnesses

A number of doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses differ from that of mainstream Christianity. The most controversial doctrinal differences relate to the nature of God and of Jesus, particularly their rejection of the Trinity doctrine. Other differences involve their beliefs concerning death and judgment. Many of these doctrines are considered heresy by mainstream Christian denominations, and as a result many label Jehovah's Witnesses as a cult.

Critics have also attacked the New World Translation, the translation of the Bible published by Jehovah's Witnesses. They state that the group has changed the Bible to suit their doctrine, and that the translation contains a number of errors and inaccuracies. [99] Scholarly opinion on the quality of the New World Translation is divided, however.

A large number of books have been published that are critical of the Watchtower Tract & Bible Society. [100] Critics state that the Watchtower Society has made a number of unfulfilled predictions and doctrinal changes over the years, while claiming that it is the "one and only channel" [101] used by God to continually dispense truth, and that "it alone, in all the earth, is directed by God's holy spirit or force". [102] Critics have attacked the Witnesses' policies on blood transfusions, stating that their requirements are inconsistent and contradictory. [103]

Critics have also argued that various Witness policies and practices, including the treatment of members who dissociate or are disfellowshipped, freedom to access external information about the group from former members, and the regulation of members' lives, impact negatively on the ability of members to exercise freedom of mind.

Jehovah's Witnesses' attitudes towards the United Nations and towards members of other religions, particularly the Roman Catholic Church, have also been controversial.

• under_believer
    under_believer

reneeisorym, I'm confused. What exactly are you trying to say?

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

Can you highlight a few main points?

You know how dubs love highlighters.

bczar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit