Guilt

by FreeFallin 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Hello all

Thought I should post here as my problems are miniscule compared to what's going on in the world right now. I feel so disloyal to Jehovah by reading all the info on this web site, but what got me to post here in the first place was the information on the UN. I guess I'm trying to tell myself that it's reaally not that bad, that they had a very good reason for forming a slight alliance with the disgusting thing, etc. But then of course there's no such thing as being "slightly in bed with a member of the opposite sex."

I've been baptized for 20 years, but began to lose interest about five years ago. The fear and trembling of a sheparding call would cause me to be near vomiting both before and after the visit. I take every thing to heart, and always have. If a talk is given about a wrongdoing in the congregation, I may think back to something I did as a teenager, and feel bad about it all day. And going out in service.........What torture. This is something I've skirted around and have been encouraged, admonished and just plain hollered at on the last sheparding call we received.

I began to feel real doubts when we got the medical directive. It just didn't feel right to me,all the fractions etc. One sixteenth of a teaspoon of dog shit is well...still dog shit!

I made an appointment to have the brothers explain the new blood card to me, as it made no sense. Instead, the CO was visiting, and he came with another elder and had me read scriptures about turning around and coming back to Jehovah, etc. I don't remember as I had tears in my eyes. (Damn, I hate being so emotional.) My mother who was there was a bit disgusted, too, as she was ill and we both wanted clarification on all the other parts of that directive as well. It was so black and white, if I remember correctly it was all or nothing concerning end of life care.

I can't say that I've been badly treated by the elders. I went to them with an indiscretion I commited after being baptized. And no, they did not want any details, contrary to what others have said about people's affairs making great reading. I was counseled about better meeting attendance, prayer and you guessed it, Field Service.

So now I have conflicting feelings, When I was going to the meetings I would always feel guilty because I didn't really want to be there because it seemed such a hard road to follow. Now I feel better in some ways because I'm not being hypocritical and smiling and being meek toward some people who, if they were in the world, I wouldn't give them the time of day. It's also great to not have to pretend friendship with some pretty bizarre folks because they "show interest" and might be possible bible studies.

The couple who brought us into the truth are quite elderly now, and have told me They feel guilty because they didn't build us with "fire resistant material" I think it's a case of the fire just going out and not being burned up, or more likely being burned out.

I've rambled enough. I don't expect any answers, it was just theraputic to spill my guts a little.

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

The only one thing I can say is that this feeling of guilt is "normal" when you are told by an organization to be perfect and to always do more work. With them, you are never good enough. However, it's great to see that god don't love you because you are in this religion instead of another. The WatchTower himself is saying that on their site at http://www.jw-media.org/beliefs/beliefsfaq.htm . Here is a quote: "Jesus said that we should not be judging one another. Humans look at the outward appearance; God looks at the heart. He sees accurately and judges mercifully. God has committed judgment into Jesus' hands, not ours.?Matthew 7:1-5; John 5:22, 27."

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Nicholas

Thank you for your advice. I know that I have to start reading the Bible again, and I will check out the website you gave.

• peacepipe
    peacepipe

(((FreeFallin))))You sound really sad in your post. I'm not really sure what to say to help you feel better but I don't think a god of love would want you to be so unhappy in serving him. It doesn't really sound like your fullfilling your own needs or others if your feeling this way. It's not an easy road to change thought processes that have been with us for a long time. It sounds like you are a sensitive person and though you didn't really say that anyone is directly hurting you in your congregation I'm not sure anyone is helping you either. If your having doubts you have come to a good place but I will tell you it is not an easy path to take. There are alot of different people with alot of different thoughts and ideas and sometimes is seems like things get harder by posting and lurking here because you get so confused about what is the right road to take. But the good thing is that YOU are deciding on that road and not only one source is making the decision for you.
    Hope to hear from you more.
    Remember, it is over time that ourselves develop and it is over time that ourselves can change.

PeacePipe

Lift me up, I've had enough. . .Tom Petty
  • wokeup
    wokeup

Dear Freefallin, the fact you had the courage to post and express your feelings is commendable. It took me awhile myself. Don't let the rhetoric from the society to not think for yourself get in the way to express yourself. The society feels very threatened with the existence of the free flow of information on the internet. I can tell you personally it has helped free my mind from the thought stopping techniques in WT literature (Remember last weeks' study article? par.8)Group conformity and loyality to men and the ban on harboring private ideas on bible understanding? Welcome aboard. Becoming cognazant of the spiritual and emotional strings people use on us can be quite alarming at first, but in time can empower you to cut them when you're ready.And by the way,the WTBTS is in bed with the U.N. most of the R&F just aren't aware of it(YET):)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit