A False Sense of Security

by Ranchette 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Hello everyone,
    If you’re anything like me you’ve probably been trying to analyze your feelings over the last couple of weeks.It seems like I’m experiencing an ever-changing array of emotions!
    It’s starting to come in on me that I had such a false sense of security and naivety . Now when I look at our Government I feel like I’ve been viewing them through the eyes of a child. Like they were superheroes or something.
    I was led to believe they were protecting us. They would watch our skies and shoot down any threat to this country.
    Well, my little fantasy was what was shot down on 9/11/01 instead.
    I feel that if they couldn’t protect the Pentagon why should I feel secure?
    Is any one else out there feeling this way?
    Ranchette

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

A bit harsh isn't it? Like saying that they can protect farmers from bad seasons...

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Steph,
    I just feel let down,sad and insecure.
    Ranchette

• crossroads
    crossroads

Not exactly, I'm mad that the FEDS. didn't do there job and
    nobody is calling them on it. It is the Federal Goverments
    primary job to protect the home land from foreign attack.

Not to build Highways to no where as was done in W.V. because
    it put a feather in Sen. Bryds cap.

Not to fund and arm the Afganistan rebels because they were fighting an 'evil empire' know as the USSR.

Not to fund and arm the State of Isreal

Not to fund and arm Iraq in there war against Iran

Not to defend Japan or Germany.

These are not jobs are Federal Government should concern
    themselves about, when they can not defend their own. Which
    is THEIR job. I think we should FIRE them ALL.

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Crossroads,
    Thanks for your input.
    Anger is one of the emotions I’ve been wrestling with too.
    Anger at God who sits back and does nothing.
    Anger at whoever planned and carried out these terrible things.
    Anger at our government because they knowingly allowed foreign terrorists to stay in this country.{there’s no telling what else we don’t know}!
    Anger at our government for falling down on the job.

I don’t expect perfection but we have been let down in a lot of ways.

I’m not saying that I won’t support this country. I’m just very disappointed.
    I can’t depend on my parents, religion, God, or the government.
    That’s why I’m feeling insecure.
    But it’s okay because I’d rather know where I stand than believe in any more fantasies couldn’t take the disappointment.
    Ranchette

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi Ranchette, it is good to know where you stand isn't it? I suppose it boils down to a kind of fear, and that's not even limited to JWs. (of course, at this point many of them are probably rejoicing because they think it's proof the end is getting near) Most fear or uncertainty are about the future, and we tend to get stuck in that mode chronically. But as someone once said, the best way (or time) to prepare for the future is to be in the present, because it is what we do now that will shape the future. The fact is there is never any certainty anyways, we can only do our best and see how it turns out. If you recognize that you're ahead of a lot of other people, and in a way you might find some security in that. Atleast you're being realistic, you know?

"Who can face the knowledge
    That the truth is not the truth?" -Rush, Distant Early Warning

• Norm
    Norm

Hi Ranchette,

I think that incident has very much done the same to many of us, even many who don't live in the US. Feeling unsecure is however something millions of people who are born in less fortunate countries experience as a daily phenomenon.

The Afghan population have lived with it through over 20 years of war, and it wasn't a very safe place even before that. The Israelies, the Palestinians all live daily in fear of being blown to bits.

People in Iraq are still living in fear of bombing. Imagine how the people in Hanoi felt when Uncle Sam was carpet bombing them.

In spite of the horrible incident in America our western world still enjoy a peace and security which is a luxury to many people around the world.

The only thing we in this part of the world can do about it is to remove the reasons people have, imagined or otherwise, to want to kill people like that.

Imagine if the enormeous military resource of huge transport planes, ships and hardware could have been used to bring food, medicine and other necessities to the millions of Afghans that are facing starvation this winter.

If it was used to help Pakistan, a very poor country with the two million Afghan refugees they have in their country, with 3 million more on the way.

Wouldn't such an act help the Afghans and the rest of the muslim world to understand that the USA might not be the "great Satan" after all?

Refugee camps are an excellent breeding ground for the kind of people that will strap bombs to themselves or fly planes into buildings. If the west doesn't get off their asses and doing something about the extreme and glaring differences in the use of resources in the world, it will get worse.

I very much share your concern and feeling of uncertanity and I hope that our authorities will be able to do a better job at protecting us but I am afraid that if an individual or a group of people are determined enough it will be almost impossible to stop such tragedies to happen. Not unless we create a police state with security and identity check's all over the place, such systems has a tendency to develope into real nightmares.

Becuse they would follow their own logic and pretty soon we would be monitored by cameras and bugging equipment in every home and everywhere etc. In many ways we are already on that road. All over the place there are governments who are reading this very post. Every E-mail we send is already being intercepted, our phones are or can be listned to at any time some government agency want to. But as you see that wasn't enough to prevent what happened. Many governments will now triple their efforts to monitor us all.

Although many of us live lifes that stands very well up to scrutiny some of us might not like to be listened to on the toilet or in the bedroom. Personally I would pity anyone who have to monitor me, as they would no doubt be bored to death in a short time.

Sorry about this, it turned into an endless rant.

Take care,

Norm

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I keep wondering if anything really has changed with regard to security before and after the incidents. Is the world any less secure than it has always been?

The governments have alwasy known the vulnerability of a free society to terrorism. What keeps things going is a 'sense' of security. One cannot live his life paranoid over these extremely rare incidents, otherwise society grinds to a halt.

The governments have over-reacted with extreme security measures designed to give back this 'sense of security' to the people. Some of these measures are good, but few are feasible in the long run and few will be effective measures against trained terrorists.

What really is needed is for the government to re-examine it's foreign policies to lessen the provocation of terrorism and for people to carry on with normal living.

Giving up civil liberties to feel more secure will not work except to turn ourselves into fortress societies and police states.

Path

• Norm
    Norm

Hi Pat,

What really is needed is for the government to re-examine it's foreign policies to lessen the provocation of terrorism and for people to carry on with normal living.

I fully agree with you here. It would be very wise to address the root of the problem. A good start would be telleing the Israelis to start respecting the UN resolutions and stop their illegal occupation of Palestinian land. So far it seems as though the US authroties are bent on creating even more enemies. Time will show.

Norm.

• Makena
    Makena

FYI - link regarding the possibility that the US provoked the WTC attack????
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,556279,00.html

I do not spend a lot of time thinking about conspiracy theories and cover ups - however, perhaps someone from the UK can comment about the reliability of the "Guardian". This is the first I have ever heard of the publication.

Wheels within wheels.....?
    Peace,
    Makena

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit