Paradise

by Frenchy 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Okay, for those of you who've read Milton's Paradise Lost, how close/far do you think he was from what actually happened?

Comments, please.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Okay, I'll kick it off. For one thing I find it very interesting that Milton (at least in this story) apparently does not believe in a Trinity.

Comment?

• Ben
    Ben

... In Milton's work, Jesus is created AFTER the angels and the heavens. God assembles the angels and introduces him to the angelic hosts as 'his son', as the one for whom all things have been made. Milton reasons that it is in this sense that Jesus is the firstborn of all creation inasmuch as from the beginning of creation, God intended for all things to be his so he is the firstborn of all creation. It is this action which enrages Satan (jealous that this newcomer now has all authority) and provokes him to make his war plans against the heavenly hosts.

I'm not sure if Milton believed this or whether he was merely spinning the yarn, making stuff up as he went. In either case, I find that an interesting perspective on the Biblical account, epspecially from a man who was quite well versed in the Scriptures.

• Ben
    Ben

Okay, so nobody likes Milton, let's move on!

• waiting
    waiting

Get real, ya'll. There's a lot of us, particularily JW's, who haven't done a lot of deep literary reading.

I got high browed sarcasm for even reading a Novel in public by some sisters....let alone real literature.

Got some catching up to do.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

LOL @ waiting...

• supernerdboy
    supernerdboy

Wow, this thread is old!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit