Has anybody got a copy of the older New World Translation ? (pre : the new simplified version ?)

by ukgirl 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ukgirl
    ukgirl

Hey So I'm currently doing a uni project and making a film exploring my leaving of the witnesses. I wanted to begin with an intro where I revisit the Genesis account of God creating the heavens and the earth. I remember it to be quite visually descriptive, so I wanted to take the account and illustrate it myself with narration over the top. However, I don't have a NWT anymore and it's really important to me that I read the same words I used to read as a child (black bible)

I've looked up the NWT at http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/books/genesis/1/

I'm not 100% this is word for word what it used to say (for example did it used to quote 'and God’s active force was moving about over the surface of the waters.' ?

So yeah basically does anyone have an old copy or point me to one just so I can be sure I'm reading the same words I read when I was younger ?

• Richard_I
    Richard_I

Here's a version of the site in January 2013.

That should be the old Bible. I used archive.org to go back.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    How do the first 3 verses of the new bible read??
  • cappytan
    cappytan

You can read the 1984 edition on JW dot ORG at this link:
    http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/bi12/books/

2013 edition at this link:
    http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/books/

To answer FayeDunaway's question:

1984 edition:
    In [the] beginning*+ God*+ created+ the heavens and the earth.+2 Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of [the] watery deep;*+ and God’s active force* was moving to and fro+ over the surface of the waters.+3 And God proceeded to say:*+ “Let light come to be.” Then there came to be light.
    2013 edition:
    In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.+2 Now the earth was formless and desolate,* and there was darkness upon the surface of the watery deep,*+ and God’s active force*+ was moving about over the surface of the waters.+3 And God said: “Let there be light.” Then there was light.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

ukgirl:

Send Atlantis a pm and I'll give you our email address. Atlantis scanned nearly every Bible from 1950 to 2006, and even the FatBoy.

Petra!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I've got the large size bible which identifies itself as: First revision 1961; Second revision 1970; Third revision with footnotes, 1971.

The quote for Genesis 1:1-3 is:

1 In [the] beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon [the] surface of the watery deep; and God's active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.

3 And God proceeded to say: "Let light come to be." Then there came to be light.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Wow interesting, thanks cappytan!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit