The Book-Look Nook: Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan

by compound complex 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Armchair Travelers,

Are you all set for the adventure of a lifetime, to the fabled and mysterious Burma (known today as Myanmar)? American tourists start out on an art expedition that will take them to the true Shangri-La and eventually to the jungles of Burma. But mystery, intrigue and death cut a wide swath across the pathway of the travelers, who wish only to soak up the rich cultural heritage and perhaps make a little statement about the benefits of the American way of life. Sidetracked by a harmless but intent, recluse jungle tribe, the unknowing "guests" plunge into a survival of the fittest contest they never bargained for. Let's just say that, in strange and unfamiliar surroundings, there's going to be culture shock. If they survive the elements, SLORC, malaria and the Nats (no, NOT gnats), will the American travelers be the wiser and stronger for it?

The images are haunting, the characters are flawed yet nevertheless sympathetic, and Ms. Tan's writing style is delightfully idiosyncratic! A mythical holy man tells his followers that each day he has pledged to save a hundred lives. He elects to save fish from drowning, and as success is added to further success in his rescue operation, he buys more nets that he might save ever more. It is evil to take lives, but it is noble to save them.

Have you already read this captivating foray into the steamy jungles that hide and protect the Karen tribe? Do you believe miracles can happen in the middle of nowhere? If you haven't yet read SAVING FISH FROM DROWNING, I highly recommend that you get it, plop into your favorite armchair, and settle in for a wondrous journey that will undoubtedly enchant you. Nowadays happy endings seem impossible, yet....

For the love of a good read,

CoCo

• becca1
    becca1

I love Amy Tan. I'll have to get this one.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Book-Reading Becca1,

So very good to hear from you! We all of us know the value of planting a seed. My friend, Arnie Avidreader, lends me a couple of books a week, which I fairly devour. This week it's THE CAINE MUTINY by Herman Wouk and ON BULLS_ _T by Harry G. Frankfurt. He has an incredible collection of first editions. I have to admit that Ms. Tan's verbal meanderings into a sort of twilight world are on a level far removed from high school literature; I love her and hope many more seekers-of-lore discover her!

With you in adventure,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Any fans of Amy Tan out there? I'm looking forward to more of her quirkily wonderful tales ...

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

bttt - does anyone read Amy Tan?

• Tara
    Tara

I read "The Kitchen God's Wife" years ago and loved it. I'll look for this one in the library. Thanks for the recommendation.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you Tara!

I knew you were out there! You're welcome and thank you, too. I'll look into THE KITCHEN GOD'S WIFE.

Though I haven't yet read THE JOY LUCK CLUB, I was certainly moved by the story as presented in the film. The interweaving of plot elements and characters' lives left me breathless ...

Gratefully,

CoCo

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I will have to check this out. I just finished listening to her book, "The Last Amazement". It was most enjoyable and had such a mesmerizing, lyrical writing style.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit