JW take on "Knocking" DVD

by startingover 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• startingover
    startingover

I got this in an email from a JW:

For a long time now we've been hearing about a film called "Knocking" that has been made by some folks who are not JWs. It is now being shown in theaters and many have gone to see it. What was the response? One sister wrote me a personal letter with her thinking and you might want to hear her thoughts:

The DVD "Knocking" came Yesterday and I did watch it. Like the sister and brother at New York Bethel had told me, there is nothing wrong with this film. They would of chosen a few words differently, but all in all nothing is wrong with the film. There was a part in it was the families Grandmother who thought differently about the Witnesses and said if you not one basically then they won't have nothing to do with you something on that bases. Then the film showed her to actually contradict herself, for when the son in law and grandson went in for an operation together and they could of died without blood, she was right there with them and hugging and so forth so that proved her to be not an outcast as she claimed. There was one part that was sad and even brought tears to my eyes, when a Jewish brother turned Jehovah's Witness in concentration camp and he told his story took his family back to this place where they held him in concentration camp and told them what the Witnesses did for him and many other Jews and what faith they had and love they had for their God. That part was sad when he said I am standing here now when if I would of died none of you he is talking to his family would not of existed and of been standing here right now. They all hugged and cried. That part got to me. Showed Russell and Rutherford. Show the churches in cahoots with Hitler shaking hands with him and how the Witnesses did not get involve with war or politics in any way. Showed them going door to door some would listen most wouldn't. Then went back to the two being operated on with a liver transplant from the dad to son, and how they not only made it with no blood but how strong they recovered and was out back doing the house to house work as soon as they could. Their stories reveal how one unlikely religion helped to shape history beyond the doorstep. It was good and I am glad I bought it. After watching it, and with this campaign coming up it give me more strength and love for my brothers and sisters who did what was right way back when persecution was tough for them and yet they did not faultier. It is always good to hear something that is not made by the Brothers and yet it is so true. I showed this to my daughter's son last night and he said he really enjoyed it and wanted to now know more about our religion, he said if the Witnesses had put it out he would of thought to himself that’s just their propaganda, but he said these two guys are not even Jehovah's Witnesses and they showed what the Witnesses are really all about and now it has my interest even higher than before in knowing more about it.

So my personal opinion of it all is, it is not put out by the Witness and non Jehovah's Witnesses are going to see this in a different light now. So Now I can understand why the sister at Bethel said "they appreciate what they have done and the work they put into it."

Anderson Cooper on CNN wrote: "Riveting and illuminating, knocking takes us inside the world of Jehovah's Witnesses in a way that is utterly surprising and moving."

Just wanted those that had mixed feelings about this film that there truly is nothing wrong with it, it is encouraging to see someone do such a fine job about us and be so accurate at doing it. But it doesn't mean in any way I want you to go out and buy it, just that it really does clear up all the wrong perception about it that’s been floating around.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I saw the word "Knocking" in the subject title I knew I should wait until after lunch to read it.

This part convinced me that my gag reflex is alive and well:

it is encouraging to see someone do such a fine job about us and be so accurate at doing it.

I sure hope I didn't sound so nauseating when I was still a believer.

W

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

If the reviewer's grasp on film is as bad as her grasp on writing coherent emails, I'd say it's best not to put too much faith in her "review".

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    It is always good to hear something that is not made by the Brothers and yet it is so true.

Yep, 'cause we all know deep down that the 'Brothers' lie.

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

It's going to be shown on PBS.

Does anyone still watch PBS?

bczar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit