Tragedy

by Norm 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Norm
    Norm

Watching the Ted Haggard story unfold has been a trip into the bizarre world of conservative Christianity. In a letter read to his congregation Mr. Haggard let us get a glimpse of a person whose troubles hasn’t even begun. It is a man still in deep denial about who he is.

He calls himself “a deceiver and a liar” something that is of course correct but that is more or less in the “job description” of all Christians. The only thing that varies is the degree of lies and deception.

Having sex with a consenting adult is of course not wrong in itself. It only becomes wrong if you have sworn to be faithful to another. Still the poor man describes his desperate venture into his true sexuality thus:

"There is a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I've been warring against it all of my adult life,”

It is indeed tragic that a homosexual man has grown up in an environment where it has become necessary for him to deny himself, put on an act to the extent that he has married and had children just to play the “normal.” That he actually believes that he can continue the “war” against himself. It must be horrific to be so completely messed up.

Norm

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4607865

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    It is indeed tragic that a homosexual man has grown up in an environment where it has become necessary for him to deny himself, put on an act to the extent that he has married and had children just to play the “normal.” That he actually believes that he can continue the “war” against himself. It must be horrific to be so completely messed up.

I agree.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Wow!

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    is more or less in the “job description” of all Christians

Depend on your cultural view of 'christian'

For many, the cognitively dissonant white conservative fundamentalist isn't really it

• Norm
    Norm

Well, I guess it applies to all who promote myth and fantasies as real. Norm

• Satanus
    Satanus

The torment he causes himself w his war against his nature must be nightmarish. I can see why he would need something like crystal meth just to get away from it for a few seconds or minutes. I hope that this scandal leads him towards transcending all the horse$#!+ in his life.

S

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

While I agree with the thrust of your post, I'm similarly bemused at the "all Christians" comment. Aside from it being a generalisation, might you not as easily have written "all humans"? Or would you rather not own such a propensity on behalf of the human [lying] race? Is there a particular reason why "all Christians" should be tarred with the same brush as this man?

A tragedy indeed - his poor family!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I have to admit to experiencing a certain amount of Schadenfreude at this news. There is something immensely satisfying about the hypocricy of such a rabid fundamentalist being exposed for all to see. Yes, I feel some sympathy for the fact that he has been put in a position where he felt he had to deny his natural urges, but he chose that path - loudly and proudly. Most of my sympathy lies with the thousands of people whose lives have been influenced by the dangerous lies of this pathetic wreck of a man (including his family). So for now I will hold on to my glee at Ken Haggard's "fall from grace", and hope that the experience ultimately has a positive liberating effect on him, his family and his community.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Is there a particular reason why "all Christians" should be tarred with the same brush as this man?

Precisely! As one of these 'all Christians', I have not felt a need to tar and feather unbelievers, but rather to embrace people.

I fear the tragedy is ammunition to cultish religion, driving thier members to an even deeper isolationism. While some may rejoice at the 'hypocricy revealed', others may worry about the ripples and effect on others.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit