Come on, rex, answer the questions...

by siegswife 2 Replies latest jw friends

• siegswife
    siegswife

I've searched in the Bible to find references to the death of an unborn baby. The only reference I can really find is in
    Exodus 21:22-25 If an unborn person is considered to be equal to a born person, why isn't the punishment the same for its accidental death. In the scriptures I'm referring to, the accidental death of the unborn child is only a fine imposed by the father. If the mother dies, however, the punishment is 'life for life'. Why the difference if they are both considered to be 'life'? Wouldn't it be 'life for life' for the unborn child to, if they were considered such?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Good question. One I researched extensively. My conclusion? The tone of your post is generally the idea I get from my research. The only confusion comes in when you look at many translations. The words in that scripture are a bit hard to know if we have the right idea 3k years later. Go figure.

Further reasoning from nature (that's from God, right?) is that a very large percentage of sperm/egg couplings are aborted naturally by a womans body, w/o any outside intervention.

• siegswife
    siegswife

What I get from this too is that the offspring of people are their own. If the father didn't ask for a fine, then that unborn child's death would go unpunished. There are many reasons why a woman, or a man and woman together would choose to have an abortion. I feel that this scripture speaks to the fact that their offspring or lack thereof, is totally their OWN responsibility.
    While I personally don't subscribe to abortion, I don't feel it's my business to judge someone who does have one. How do these antiabortion radicals justify their reasoning? For all they know, these children that they want to force into birth could die a miserable death from the violence of their parents, starvation OR even end up to be people that GOD doesn't like very much. They could suffer the rest of their lives due to being unwanted. They could suffer the rest of their lives due to physical or mental problems. Are these religious pharisees willing to accept the responsiblility for the welfare and spiritual growth of these children for the REST of their lives? I think not. They are hypocrites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit