Are they really brainwashed?

by JWdaughter 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I was just thinking today of all the stories we have of Field Service Avoidance. Between the donut shops, potty breaks, fake back calls/RVs etc., almost everyone her knows that almost every JW in the western world does anything they can to pad out their FS time, whether they outright lie, stretch the truth(so to speak) or practice major avoidance of it.

The WT claims that this kingdom work is the way we prove who we are. The WT says that this is the way that the message of Jehovah's kingdom is going to be spread. Does anyone REALLY believe it? Are they really suckered in? If they REALLY were, would there not be astounding amounts of people out in FS all the time? Would there not be massive waves of folks going where the need was greater, missionaries. If they were really kool aid drinkers, would they not overcome their natural repulsion and go whole hog? Thinking of this makes me think that perhaps there are a HECK of a lot of people who have not really bought into the lie.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

For the last 10-15 years J-dubs have been merely going through the motions. True interest in bringing new ones into the troof and having 'letters of recomendation' has waned. I remember the great joy when CO's would come and talk about develping the pioneer stroll (walking slow to stretch out your time.) Once again one of the many things that should have been a clue to get out sooner.

If, as the WT claims, they are involved in the most important teaching work of all time, they are really handling it half A$$ed. I saw to dubs the other day while I was driving. How did I know they were dubs? Not by the WT and Afake! mags but by their excellent use of the pioneer stroll. And through all of this half hearted effort they put forth, they haven't got a clue of whats really happening. Its a beautiful thing when you can suspend reality and lumber mindlessly 'from house to house and door to door, Jehovah's name declare'

For all those who now have that song in your head...HAHA

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

• Brainwashed
    • Fearful
    • Trying to avoid loss
    • Ha ughty but lazy
    • Delusional but distracted
    • Blame laying but socially infertile
    • Ignorant but unsure
    • Plain confused but not frightened

I don't suppose it's necessary to be simply and completely brainwashed to say "I'm jw"

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The process by which the average JW exists in the WT world is calle "Cognitive Dissonace"

JWs have to adopt 2 opposite sets of beliefs and they collide a lot! The only way to accept both beliefs sets is to mentally ignore the that opposite beliefs do exist. Because they ignore the logical fallacies they can believe both

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Cognitive dissonance

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cognitive dissonance is the perception of incompatibility between two cognitions, which can be defined as any element of knowledge, including attitude, emotion, belief, or behavior; in laymen's terms, it is the uncomfortable tension that comes from holding two conflicting thoughts at the same time. The theory of cognitive dissonance states that contradicting cognitions serve as a driving force that compels the mind to acquire or invent new thoughts or beliefs, or to modify existing beliefs, so as to reduce the amount of dissonance (conflict) between cognitions. Experiments have attempted to quantify this hypothetical drive.

The theory of cognitive dissonance was first proposed by the psychologistLeon Festinger in 1956 after observing the counterintuitive belief persistence of members of a UFO doomsday cult and their increased proselytization after the leader's prophecy failed. The failed message of earth's destruction, sent by aliens to a woman in 1956, became a disconfirmed expectancy that increased dissonance between cognitions, thereby causing most members of the impromptu cult to lessen the dissonance by accepting a new prophecy; that the aliens had instead spared the planet for their sake.

People who have been manipulated by mind control techniques don't even realize they do this.

The WTS uses classic mind control techniques (far more subtle) rather than brainwashing tecniques

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Hi, thanks for the info on cognitive dissonance-I have known of it before, but it really made sense to me-maybe too much. I find that I fight that in certain aspects in other areas of my life. I think that religiously, I have finally given myself permission to believe in a way that truly makes logical sense to me. You have no idea how nuts it makes one feel to 'believe' in a way that totally argues with ones common sense and actual values. Even after leaving the JWs I found that I was not willing to leave behind things that made no sense to me because they were my 'base line' deal breakers. I just didn't realize that the deal had been made without my actually consenting. I had decided that I wasn't rejecting Christianity, but ultimately, while I appreciate many positive values of it, I don't have a firm belief in orthodox or non orthodox basic christian teachings. Finally feel honest with myself, but I feel a bit like a renegade or something.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Finally feel honest with myself, but I feel a bit like a renegade or something.

Feeling honest with ourselves is crucial to maturity. The WTS pushes everyone to behave like obedient children. And it most definitely fell like rebellion when we begin to examine what we have been taught and accept some and reject others. The WTS, like a controlling abusive parent, has a set of rules for all family members.

• We are always right. You are always wrong
    • We know what is good for you.
    • The only safe place is with your family. No one will love you like we do. And no one will ever want you.
    • Do what you are told.
    • Believe what we tell you even if it doesn't make sense or contradicts other things we say..
    • Other people won't understand so keep the family secrets SECRET.
    • Rebellion will result in punishment (standing in the corner/time out = marking; disowning = disfellowshipping and shunning)

Healthy families on the other hand teach their children personal strength and integrity. They teach them how to make decisions and how to learn from mistakes. They also teach that people have rights and how to respect yourself and others

• DavidChristopher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit