Birthdays and Disfellowshipping

by geevee 9 Replies latest jw friends

• geevee
    geevee

I am trying to find any substance to the idea that if you had a birthday celerbration as a JW you could be disfellowshipped? Anyone in the know about this? I have a word document that I made before I handed in my elders book and I have the 2005 wt cd from reexamine. The elders book on around page 91-94 or 5 lists a heap of things that you could be disfellowshipped for, but celebrating birthdays are not one of them. There is a section on celebrating false religious holidays, but it does not say birthday. A 98 watchtower QFR mentioned that "mature" christians would not celebrate birthdays, but what about the immature? Any current elders care to comment, or recently ex elders? There maybe updated directions or something?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I asked an elder about this (he's been in the org forever, elder forever) and he said you wouldn't be disfellowshipped for it. He also said you couldn't get baptized if you were actively celebrating birthdays, since you would be showing you weren't really following the direction of the Slave.

Since they feel you MUST be baptized in order to come onto the modern-day "ark", they are essentially willing to deny access to that "ark" if you're unwilling to give up birthdays.

Dave

• fokyc
    fokyc

Consequently, while it is entirely a private matter if Christians choose to take note of their wedding anniversary, there are good reasons why mature Christians abstain from celebrating birthdays.

fokyc

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

My aunt got put on reproof for sending someone a Christmas card.

if its not something you can be DF for, I imagine the behaviour would be marked.

purps

• Mary
    Mary

I remember years ago, the PO telling me that you can't be DF'd for celebrating a birthday as there is nothing in the bible that directly says you can't celebrate it (why don't they use this logic when it comes to smoking?). However, it's so strongly looked down upon that any uh "mature" Christian would be treated so shabbily, that they don't dare risk their position or reputation in the congregation by doing something as evil as celebrating the anniversary of someone's birth.

However, if you're already a weak/inactive/marked Christian and you've got nothing to lose, there's nothing really to bar you from celebrating it.

What's hilarious is that I give my JW parents birthday cards every year which they read and then put up on the mantle for all to see.

• gordon d
    gordon d

Trying to be respectful of my family member's beliefs while still being considerate enough to acknowledge their B-day...... AND still making the point of how foolish the whole debate is:

I like to call them up and sing them the WTS approved Happy Birthday song.

"Pleasant anniversary of the date in which your infant body successfully traversed the birth canal"
    "Pleasant anniversary of the date in which your infant body successfully traversed the birth canal"
    "Pleasant anniversary of the date in which your infant body successfully traversed the birth canal Dear so-and-so"

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

It is my understanding that celebrating birthdays is not a df offense. However, if known, you would not be "exemplary" and would lose any "privileges". You'd be removed as an elder/ms/pioneer and probably not allowed to aux pioneer (depending) and depending on the BOE you could may not even carry mikes/read/pray.

But, if you were to poll most JWs, they think it is a df'ing offense, which of course is what the WTS wants them to think. You hit on the wording "mature". That's the WTS way of telling you that you shouldn't do something without actually saying no.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    My aunt got put on reproof for sending someone a Christmas card.

This one has "false religious" conotations, so it's a little heavier. I was DF'd for celebrating Christmas. The official charge was "apostasy". MMMmmmm... has a nice ring to it, dontcha think? ;-)

Dave

• geevee
    geevee

Hi all and thanks for the replies. Consensus is you cant be DFed, but maybe marked? So here's the thing. We havent gone for a year and a half....obviously immature christians!! and we were asked if we celebrated one son's birthday, to which I replied "it's no bodies business as to whether we did or didn't, infact you'd be hard pressed to show me the scripture where it says you cant celebrate". So, you know how it is, you prepare your mind for a huge battle, just incase they come back for more! Hope they dont, but you are better to be ready for it, than not. Although it is a no win argument, say too much against the JW stand and you are done for anyway.

• mama1119
    mama1119

"Pleasant anniversary of the date in which your infant body successfully traversed the birth canal Dear so-and-so"

That is catchy!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit