The Office UK or The Office US

by jrjr4189 6 Replies latest jw friends

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189

For those who have seen both shows, what is the better of the two in terms of humor?

I know that the original UK office was revolutionary but the US version seems to hit my funny bone a little harder. Your thoughts?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think the UK version has humor geared toward the UK audience and the US version has humor geared toward the US audience.

btw.... I'm a big fan!

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

I loved the Ricky Gervais BBC original and was highly sceptical about the U.S version...however i thought it was excellently done and very funny.Steve Carrell was sometimes even more cringey than Gervais..and thats no mean feat!!

I also thought the American "Dawn"was gorgeous!

• Clam
    Clam

I think Elsewhere is right. I was a huge fan of the UK version but couldn't get into the US version. Then again I loved Alf Garnett but not Archie Bunker. Having said that there are some American comedy shows that I love, eg Frasier, Seinfeld, Friends. Maybe I can't get into the US version because it's so obviously a "touch up." The Office was certainly an acquired taste over here. Plenty of people didn't get it.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I've never watched the UK show. Is it on BBC? I am a HUGE fan of the US "The Office" and never miss it.

I miss Scranton!

• south african beef
    south african beef

I absolutely raved about The Office from the very first episode!

It's humour (sorry - humor!) was both cringeworthy, subtle and in your face.

Ricky Gervais is outstanding in this role, Gareth was cast perfectly too and what about Finchy the salesman oh and Dawns on off relationships? It's all floodiing back to me now - I haven't seen the USA version but I expect it was tailored for the US market so probably not so funny to us but I have to agree with other posters that even though a lot of English humour is diferent to that accross the pond, some USA sitcoms are hilarious.

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189

It took me a little while to stop comparing Ricky Gervais to Steve Carrell but once I did I was able to see how funny the US version is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit