Chicago Cops - Disturbing Experience

by looking_glass 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I need to get this off my chest because it is bothering me to the point I am distracted. I have a very disturbing experience with the Chicago Police Department.

I had just gotten out of a car that was dropping me off at the CTA. I was about to get out when a cop car w/ 2 CPD cops pulled up behind us and flashed their lights. I had started walking to the entrance and then thought better and turned around and returned to the car. The first cop was standing at the driver's side door talking to my friend. When I walked over and said "what is the problem?". The second cop jumps out of the car and walks up to me and yells "STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR!". Now I am freaked. I step back and officer #2 comes over and says "what is your business here?" to which I reply "my friend was dropping me off so I can take the train" to which officer #2 says "then go catch your train, you have no business here" to which I reply "well I am trying to figure out what the problem is" and officer #2 says "this is a no parking zone" to which I reply "well he was not parking, he was dropping me off as it is a loading and unloading zone" to which the officer says "go catch your train, this is none of your business". Officer #1 has walked away from the car, while officer #2 continues to stand there with his HAND ON HIS GUN looking at me. So I tap on my friend's window and he rolls it down and I ask my friend what is happening and he says they are giving him a ticket because he was "parked" in a no parking zone. BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Granted, I may know torts and breach of contract and mechanics' liens, but traffic I don't know and municipal, I don't know. I do know that Chicago cops are trigger happy. So I step away from the vehicle. and I know some people on the force and they always say to be polite and to not be threatening. So I say "pardon me officer can you explain again what municipal code or violation that that has occurred here?" At which point he says to me "LISTEN LADY I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU A THING!" And he stands there and stares me down. Finally he walks away from me, so I stand on the sidewalk and wait from them both (because they both have to walk back to the car because clearly we are gang members who are carrying heavy weapons) walk back to the car and I say "officer, I would once again request that you advise what specific violation has taken place here" and which point officer #2 just keeps saying to me "lady don't you have a train to catch" over and over and over. No response, no nothing. At that point, I was so unnerved and upset by this particular cop's behavior that I was shaking and visibly crying. So I wait and once my friend gets the ticket, I look it over to see what the violation is, but of course it is a violation of Code No. ????, so now I get to look it up.

My personal belief is this guy has a problem with women questioning him. What was the purpose of having his hand on his gun? What was his purpose of raising his voice at me? What was his purpose in continually saying to me "don't you have a train to catch!" and not responding to my questions. It would be one thing if he said, "under the law I am unable to discuss a traffic violation with anyone other then the driver" fine I will respect the law. But when all you do is say over and over and over again to me "LADY don't you have a train to catch". Now I am angry.

Oh yes, don't you all worry your pretty little heads about this. I have contacted the Office of Professional Standards to file a complaint. As I truly believe that these are two Chicago cops who are on a power trip and have little respect for women.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

We use the word "professional" when discussing Police because "jerk cop" is just too redundant.

And no I don't know why they turned into such jerks.

And no it's not nearly as dangerous a profession as you might believe. According to the US Dept of Labor, pizza delivery drivers are ten times as likely to be hurt on the job as a cop. http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/13/pf/dangerousjobs/

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Or the term "standards". The cops around here have gotten enough bad press for their over the top antics and a lot of it could be avoided if they stopped behavior like this. When I spoke w/ the woman at OPS, she wanted to "take down my complaints" and get back to me. I explained that I wanted it all in writing and would be filing a formal complaint because I wanted to make sure it was being addressed. Again, sorry, but the whole "tell me what the problem is and I will get back to you" does not impress me. I know the game and refuse to play it. I am sure they will file my written complaint away in some drawer and that will be it, but at least it will be on file and when these two cops get into trouble again (because I have no doubt they will), the paper travel will soon bury them.

• joe_black
    joe_black

Like with any police departments internal investigations unit or complaint unit, they will find that the cops acted accordingly and therefore no action is needed. Sad but true.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Strictly speaking, their business was w the driver. You had left the car. I don't see what case you have against the cop.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit