HELP - Trip to New York City next month...

by Billygoat 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Hey all!

I've been planning a surprise trip to NYC for my boyfriend Neil for several months now and I've just told him about it. (It will be our year anniversary the weekend we go.) I seriously considered cancelling the trip due to last week's events, but have decided to go ahead and do it. We need a break and want to get outta town. I'm not too nervous about security. (Maybe I should be?)

Although the trip was a surprise until last night, I haven't told him what we're doing once we get there. (Mostly because I don't really know! ) So far, these are some of the things I've got planned...

Stomp - off Broadway show
    Jeckyll & Hyde - restaurant
    The Tunnel - dance club

We've both been to NY several times before and have done a lot of touristy stuff, so here is a list of things that we are probably NOT going to do...

The Met
    Statue of Liberty
    Ellis Island

Does anybody have any suggestions on things to do in NYC that might be fun and different from the typical tourist stuff? Have you been to any restaurants/clubs/museums that were different from the norm that you really liked?

We arrive on a Saturday afternoon and leave on a Tuesday afternoon, so we don't have a lot of time, but enough to have fun. What do you think? Let me know...

Andi

• Makena
    Makena

Hey BG - Its been over 4 years since I was in NYC, but had a memorable dinner at:
    Cite - 120 W 51st St
    (212) 956-7100

A little pricey, but we were on the company's dime. Great atmosphere -food, paired with a different glass of wine each course.
    Afterwards we went dancing at The Bat, trendy club at the time, 3 dance floors etc. Don't know if its still there.

Touristy thing - have a glass of champagne at the Tavern on the Green, followed by a carriage ride in Central Park?? Russian Tea Room?

If you have already been to the Met, what about the Frick Gallery?
    1 E 70th St
    (212) 288-0700

I am presuming that all of these places are still accessable.

If that fails I hear they give a great tour at 25 Columbia Heights.
    Sorry could not resist!

Have a wonderful trip - this should be one of the safest times in history to fly.
    Makena
    PS - I enjoy your posts.

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

(((andi))) i have no suggestions...just a congratulations on the aniversary and i wish you luck on the trip! have fun !

bea

i know the pieces fit because i watched them fall away...

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Billyg,

One thing I would want to see that others might not is the devastation left from the WTC collapse. It will be remembered as one of the biggest historical events in history in time to come. I would want to see it with my own eyes, but I don't know how close you could get.

But if that's not your cup of coffee, and you want to escape from that for a while, check out this link for ideas:

http://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa98aug/Newyork/newyork.htm

• jonjonsimons
    jonjonsimons

Andi,
    Sounds like a fun trip. Just thought I'd pass along one word of warning though. A friend of mine is a reporter for a tv network in Portugal and has been in NYC since 9/11 until yesterday. He called me and told me to tell anyone that I knew who was going, not to go anywhere near "ground zero". To put it bluntly, he said the smell would make you hurl if you got within a mile of the area. Just wanted to pass it along in case you could use the info.

BTW you MUST see Stomp. Fabulous, simply Fabulous. I saw it last time I was there and I just couldn't get enough of it. Also some of the smaller art stores/galleries in Soho are magnificent, especially if you're into modern art.

Congrats on your anniversary and have a fun trip.

Peace,
    Jon

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

You absolutely MUST BUST MUST have a cosmopolotan at The Temple Bar on Lafayette right off Houston. they cost a fortune, and will put you both smack-dab on your asses in no time flat. If you have enough people, have dinner at Carmine's at 90th and Broadway (they have one in the theatre district as well, but the one uptown is more fun). Unfortunatley, it is not a place where you can eat if there is just going to be the two of you, unless you plan to share a single salad AND take home 80% of it in a doggy bag. If you get chance, stop into McSorley's, on 7th off Cooper, and ask for "2 and 2". That is 2 light, and two dark beers - that is the total drink menu selection available there.

cd

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hi Andi,

I live in the Northeast, and the preventative measures that are in place to prevent any further, um, events are unprecedented. There is probably not a better time to visit New York; the amount of tourism is down (in a BIG way) and so you'd have much more access to things that would normally be difficult to get into.

STOMP! is utterly amazing. I hope you get to see it!. jonjon is right on, both on the "ground zero" advice as well as there being an inconceiveable variety of other areas of interest in Soho.... you wouldn't have to do a lot of traveling to experience spellbinding creativity and heart-warming encounters with humans that defy imagination. It's beyond awesome.

I would go without hesitation, but would be prepared for any airline travel to take four times as long as it did a month ago. Just make sure there are no embarrassing objects in any of your baggage, purse, pockets, etc! Everything you carry is subject to inspection. A friend of mine objected to someone waving a metal detector over her pregnant tummy, and she had to "prove" she was pregnant.... it took a while. They (whoever "they" are, lol) are being extremely careful. (Fine by me.)

Congratulations on your anniversary, and I hope you have a great time....

lauralisa

It's only water from a stranger's tear (Peter Gabriel)

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Hi Andi, happy 1 year anniversary. What a wonderful idea to spend it in the City. We were watching the news this morning and the Mayor was asking people to come to New York and spend money to get the economy back on it's feet again. He mentioned it would be a good time to visit because of the lack of crowdedness. So this weekend is our anniversary. 29 glorious years of marital bliss!! My husband made reservations for next weekend and we will be staying at the Essex Hotel. It is a little expensive, but we will have a beautiful view of Central Park, and the Theater district is close to there. We live an hour away and will take the Ferry over from Hoboken. I am really excited. I hope you have a wonderful time.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Billygoat,

New York City is the birthplace of breakdancing, do yourself a favor and watch some of the best breakers in world at times square dancing away...

I was gonna go to NYC to see RENT on boradway but felt uncomfy being so close to over 5,000 rotting bodies still in the rubble..they wont get that cleaned up until after christmas, maybe by april.
    -Dan

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hey, nobody's mentioned taking a tour of Bethel!?!?!?!?

But seriously, folks...
    How about The American Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium?

Be sure to bring your "Creation" book so you can refute the false testimony of mute rock. :)

Another spot that I used to enjoy was The Coisters at the northern tip of Manhattan...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit