Ya Gotta Love Richard Dawkins

by FrightMare 8 Replies latest jw friends

• FrightMare
    FrightMare

RICHARD:

Our leaders have described the recent atrocity with the customary cliche: mindless cowardice. "Mindless" may be a suitable word for the vandalising of a telephone box. It is not helpful for understanding what hit New York on September 11. Those people were not mindless and they were certainly not cowards. On the contrary, they had sufficiently effective minds braced with an insane courage, and it would pay us mightily to understand where that courage came from.

It came from religion. Religion is also, of course, the underlying source of the divisiveness in the Middle East which motivated the use of this deadly weapon in the first place. But that is another story and not my concern here. My concern here is with the weapon itself. To fill a world with religion, or religions of the Abrahamic kind, is like littering the streets with loaded guns. Do not be surprised if they are used.

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Never judge a philosophy by its abuse. You know that! Is Atheism the answer? Do tell [8>]

Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by Me."

• Julie
    Julie

Unclepenn--

Truth is the answer. I don't know about you but I have yet to get the truth from a Christian regarding biblegod. I wonder if I could get the truth from a Muslim on Korangod.

What's your answer? Do tell.

Julie

• Winston
    Winston

Julie,

Your reasoning is so black and white.

• riz
    riz

Richard Dawkins did a great job hosting Family Feud too.

survey says...

riz

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Julie. What kind of answers are you looking for? I spent much of my time giving answers to an atheist on another board and he didn't want answers. He just wanted to argue. Anyway, if you sincerely seek answers, I would like to help. If you just want to argue, I will pass on that.

Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by Me."

• julien
    julien

I'm on Julie's side. What satisfies some as an "answer", to others is often a "cop out" or "excuse" or "red herring".. There was another thread about why YHWH murdered thousands for the heretofor unknown sin of its King, which somehow slipped into a discussion about some unknown person and how she treats her kid. HEY, what about those murders by the God of Love??

Julie, give up, there is no answer to these questions. The Bible was written by primitive nomads, YHWH was invented by them, and his primitive bloodthirstiness and requirement to be worshipped is a perfect reflection of the kind of people they were. You cannot get a satisfying answer here because the people you are asking the question to don't have one that will satisfy you. The answer they have satisfies them, not others. And there are of course the catch-all explanations "who knows the mind of God? God must know things we don't know.." etc.

Anyway I gotta go now, I have to go feed my daughter to a bear because she disobeyed me. It was a toss up between that and a public stoning by the city gates.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

julien! Don't do anything rash. You may find that you need your daughter around in the event that a roving band of lust filled sodomites wants one of your houseguest! Think man! for God's sake think!

• julien
    julien

Good god Six you're right, I better save her for rape fodder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit