1 John 5:7-8

by lesterd 3 Replies latest jw friends

• lesterd
    lesterd

I dont have the resources to look up the societies * on deleting the paragraph the mentions God , the logos and holy spirit as being one. The WT says that this was added in later translations and did not exist in the original writings? Can some tell me the source for this conclusion and is it some where on the internet?

Thanks

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is one article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_Johanneum

It's the textbook example of a marginal gloss that crept into the text itself. I don't think anyone other than the KJV-only purists would treat it as authentic in light of the overwhelming MS evidence.

• lesterd
    lesterd

Thanks, very informative, I have been so gunshy of what the WT says that I got into a heated disscusion with a dub friend over this and now I have to eat crow..another issue was over the use of terms discribing the inner and outer court yards of the temple in relation to where the WT says the great crowd resides, the heavenly and earthly words appear to have been switched in the NWT to give the GC an earthly, outer courtyard presences and the 144K a heavenly one???

Thanks again

• Navigator
    Navigator

Leolia has given you the web reference that tells the whole story. Erasmus was trying to meet a publishing deadline and got taken in by a "specially manufactured" piece of phony scripture produced at a special monestary in Spain. After he had time to research it, he realized he had been "taken in". Unfortunately, this particular edition was the prime source document used by the King James Translators.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit