Time Magazine Article: It Happened to Me: I Grew Up as a Jehovah’s Witness

by ToesUp 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Interesting article in Time Magazine, from a former Witness.

Time Magazine

• cultBgone
    cultBgone
    Glad for her that Mom had sense enough to leave.  Sadly, current jdubs will see this article as something related only to Xmas instead of being able to see the craziness for what it is.
  • truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Great article! I read it to my daughter and husband and we couldn't help but laugh at when she was trying so hard not to sing along with the Christmas song. 

If we only knew then, what we know now.... We truly could have saved our kids from some very tough times.

• steve2
    steve2

A nice, simply-told account of growing up in a JW environment. No fierce tales of outrage and woe, no snarling warnings to reader, no parents welding sticks and hurling abuse; instead the writer calmly contrasts the 'ordinary' lives of Witness children and nonWitness children.

This may not move JWs to rethink their parenting, but it will strike nonWitness parents as a joyless, stifling way to raise kids. Sure, the article gets the 'significant' year of the hinted end wrong (not 1977, but 1975). But the bleak landscape of a JW  upbringing stands out.

Yes, a nice overview from a reflective, thoughtful woman who appears to have no religious wheelbarrow to push but who was clearly shaped by the barreness of her childhood and whose only 'excitement' was anticipating harm and death befalling children who dared sit on Santa's lap and who sang happy hymns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit