Thanksgiving just around the corner

by Little Bo Peep 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

I think most posters here, being exJW's probably celebrate Thanksgiving. Even loyal JW's actually do, even though they are careful to tell anyone seeing that big turkey with all the fixins, "we aren't really celebrating Thanksgiving, but everyone could get together today". That is what I remember saying. I was always so very uncomfortable telling school friends we didn't celebrate Thanksgiving. It all seemed so hypocritical, to have a meal just as everyone else in Christendom did, yet say we didn't celebrate it.

I wonder if those lurkers think much about the subject? There really isn't any sound scriptural reason given. I think the WT used this like birthdays etc, to keep JW's from looking like any other religion, wanting JW's to be different, and different they are.

I looked up the few articles I could find on this subject on the CDROM, which I'll quote in part here.

Awake 11/22/1976 9-13:

While admitting that the present celebration has some connection with the Pilgrims, where did these get the idea of a thanksgiving festival? Historians note that ‘harvest festivals’ were among the oldest known holidays. And there were several different harvest celebrations in existence at the time of the Pilgrims.

On the contrary, the idea of a single day of thanks undoubtedly would have reminded the early Christians of the pagan Romans, who held an annual thanksgiving celebration in December.

What, then, is the modern-day Christian likely to conclude as he views this national holiday? Looking at many of the present practices, he may be reminded of Second Corinthians 6:14, where we read: "Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have?"

So on November 25, the declared "day of thanks" in 1976, personal decisions need to be made. Dedicated Christians certainly will not want to convey to others the idea that they believe in one-day-a-year gratitude. Really, should not all who profess Christianity encourage a spontaneous spirit of thanksgiving—from the heart—the year around.

Watchtower 12/01/57 707:

Once a year people may set aside a day for thanksgiving, such as the national Thanksgiving holiday observed in America. But even then how many observers of this holiday actually offer thanks to God? Are not their thoughts more on feasting and having a merry time than on the many gifts God has given? Can it be said that thanksgiving is offered to God by indulging in an extra-big meal? Thanksgiving to God does not come from the stomach but from the mind. It is verbally expressed. "I will praise the name of God with song, and I will magnify him with thanksgiving." (Ps. 69:30) "In everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let your petitions be made known to God."—Phil. 4:6

Yet, the Insight Book shows there was a festival for thanksgiving set by Jehovah. A thanksgiving day. Wouldn't the early Christians probably been more reminded of this day than any pagan day as mentioned above?

Insight Book 822-824:

The distinguishing mark of the Festival of Booths, the primary nature of it, was joyful thanksgiving. Jehovah’s desire was that his people should rejoice in him. "You must rejoice before Jehovah your God." (Le 23:40) It was a festival of thanksgiving for the ingathering—not only for the grain but also for the oil and the wine, which contributed much to the enjoyment of life. During this festival, the Israelites could meditate in their hearts upon the fact that their prosperity and the abundance of fine things did not come through their own power.

In the time we've been away from the WT, we have observed many Christians of various religions, and are constantly amazed at the loving, Christian attitudes they have, that of doing good for others, with thanksgiving to God and his son. It is so very much different than I was led to believe other religions acted. I am ashamed I never gave all their hard work the benefit of the doubt, but only criticized them for every good work they did.

Peep

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

We always celebrated the feast even skipped meetings that whole weekend!

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Great Job!! Thank you for the info!!

Love ya!

Lady Liberty

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

I wasn't born into the "truth," but when my parents stopped the celebrations, Thanksgiving was the holiday I missed the least. Maybe 'cause the turkey was always dry. =p

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

This one thing I really wish would cross the Atlantic to the UK.

We have a "harvest festival" but it's really a church service/offering and is limited to churches and schools.

Thanksgiving would be brilliant. When exactly is it?

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

Pub, you brits don't celebrate the holiday cause you never got over loosing the colonies, just kidding. lol

• read good books
    read good books

We always celebrated it with turkey at JW relatives, now that I am out and can no longer talk to them thanks to Jehovah's loving organiztion I miss celebrating Thanksgiving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit