Having it all ways

by youcanhaveago 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• youcanhaveago
    youcanhaveago

When I was "in" an acquaintance said to me - You lot want it all ways , when the Bible says the sign of the end is "wars and reports of wars "you grab that.When the bible says a cry of "peace and security" is a sign if the end you grab that.

Contrasting signs but both a pointer to the end times.

Did he have a point ?

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Yes I believe your friend did have a point. Like the Delphic Oracles in ancient Greece, the WT garnishes its "prophetic utterances" with liberal doses of pungent ambiguities. I remember in the mid 70s when the Middle East was a potboiler with the Arab Israel war, the WTS went almost beserk with dire warnings of a soon-to-come universal conflict.

In the mid 80s when the UN designated a certain year [84, I think] as the year of "Peace and Security" the WTS went almost hysterical with an anticipated realization of the soon-to-come universal conflict.

The WT publishes magazines with covers that coyly suggest: War- Is the end near? and: Peace- Is the end near? Having thus covered both bases how the hell can you lose?

In all this, I believe that the WTS has missed a basic biblical theme. The Bible never once exhorts its readers to anticipate the end-of-the-world as we know it. Or to calculate it. Or to be obsessed with it.

It exhorts them to await, with confidence, the Lord Jesus Christ, who promised He would come again. This is the event true Christians anticipate.

When will this be? Dunno.

Cheers

• parakeet
    parakeet

Are you kidding? That's the JWs' specialty! Whatever the situation, they've got a scripture for it. If someone listens to their message in fs, it's proof they have the truth ("sheeplike" personality); if someone slams a door in their face, it's proof they have the truth (persecution). If someone says Armageddon will never come, the JWs quote the "in-Noah's-day-they-were-eating-and-drinking" scripture. If someone says Armageddon is coming next week, then "no one knows the day and hour." That's just a few of many, many similar examples.

Jehovah's Witnesses -- the all-purpose, all-temperature religion.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

• They wait on Jehovah because it's the proper thing
    • They sue rebuke the disagreeing evil one because it's the proper thing

Yeh......whatever

• Butters
    Butters

It all points to cornish game hens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit