Did Anyone Ever Overcharge for the Publications

by uwishufish 6 Replies latest jw friends

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

"You know all we're asking is a small donation to cover the cost of printing" and also to cover the expense of bringing them to your door.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Did Anyone Ever Overcharge for the Publications?

I think we all did!

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, up until 1990 the WTS had a specific price for the public. For some time pioneers paid less than the publishers for the publicatons. I never asked for more than the going rate and most often never asked at all because it was so demeaning. I just paid for them at the KH and if the person at the door didn't pay me, no big deal.

From 1990, the cost was ambiguous for both the rank and file and the people at the door. The request for a donation was not to be associated directly with the publications. Based on that, we should have been asking for money even if the person did not take a publication.

Once someone gave me $5 and I gave them back $4....couldn't get past the old way.

Blondie

• mama1119
    mama1119

I could never bring myself to ask for a contribution. I mean, we already showed up uninvited to there doorstep to tell them they are going to die if they don't read the Watchtower, and now I am asking them to pay me..

• hubert
    hubert

I am not a j.w., but I know of one case...(my sister-in-law) who was studying with the j.w.'s, and they offered her a "free" Bible. She said that when she saw the price on the cover....$200.00, she just HAD to donate something for it. She didn't tell me how much she "donated", but I'm sure it was a pretty big amount.

Would this be classified as "deceit"?

Hubert

• free2beme
    free2beme

No, but I found change at the bottom of my book bag at times and used it to buy some coffee. I actually only asked for a donation about a half dozen times in my life. Otherwise, it was all free for the taken and I did not want to ask for anything.

• blondie
    blondie
    they offered her a "free" Bible. She said that when she saw the price on the cover....$200.00,

Hubert, I don't know what Bible that was, but it wasn't the NWT. The basic green (later black) NWT was offered for $1.00. Prices were never printed on any of the books or bibles. The WTS has never priced any publication at $200.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit