Did WTS make changes in the reprinted bound volumns?

by aSphereisnotaCircle 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I remember a one time opportunity to order reprinted, older bound volumes in the early 80's.

Do you know if they made any changes to those reprints, or were they exact duplicates?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

There were changes made in some volumes. I will leave it to someone else to provide specifics.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

some changes were made

• tweetybird193
    tweetybird193

WT removed their booze bottle from bound volume 1982

http://www.cftf.com/online/1998AprJunp06-07.html
    WTand booze bottle, then the bound volume changed. Was even in Readers Digest
    Motivation for the Watchtower Society's alterations has not always been the same. During 1981 and 1982 an ad for Johnnie Walker Red scotch whisky appeared in several major magazines, including the September 1982 Reader’s Digest (certain editions only, p. 37). The ad depicted a red sunset silhouetting a building with two people standing on an elevated porch. It had first been run in the June 29, 1981 U.S. News and World Report, and was copyrighted, according to the liquor company’s staff attorney.

Then The Watchtower of September 15, 1982, appeared with the same picture on its cover (slightly modified—the Watchtower Society’s artist cut off the left edge of the building and removed one of the people from the porch). This misuse of the liquor ad picture was exposed in the October, 1982, issue of Comments from the Friends.

As a result of such publicity the liquor company, Somerset Importers, Inc., contacted Watchtower headquarters through their legal staff. The Society agreed, out of court, to stop using the ad on its cover. So, when the year’s magazines were reprinted as a bound volume at the end of 1982, the cover of the September 15th issue featured a different picture—a landscape showing trees with mountains in the background, predominantly blue instead of red. Foreign language editions—those printed after the U.S. English edition—also carried the new cover. The Watchtower issue with a liquor ad picture on its cover is now a collector’s item.

http://www.bibletopics.com/BIBLESTUDY/86.htm

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Thanks Tweety, I did not know that, what a sleazy thing for the org to do, like they couldn't snap their own sunset picture!

However, I was wondering if anyone knows of changes between the older bound volumns (50's, 60's etc) and the bound volumns reprinted and offered a second time in the early eighties I believe. These bound volumns looked slighly different then the originals, they had white end papers instead of the red that they use to use, and the texture of the cover is slighltly different.

Anyone know?

• aSphereisnotaCircle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit