How do others see us?

by bigboi 3 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi
    As the events of September 11 in the United States illustrate, failing to be mindful of how others see and experience one's policies and practices — whether the relationships are between persons or nations — can result in responses that appear irrational and unprovoked. Yet the cogs in the wheel, the links in the chain of events, may well not see "the big picture" or their role in perpetuating others' pain.

I found this on another site. It was an article that elaborated on President Bush's description of the attack on WTC as evil. I have to agree with President Bush, that act of violence was ure unadulterated evil. Yet, this quote from the article brought forth a point that I had been blind to. Perhaps it was the anger, shock and desire for vengence that I felt at the time that dulled my vision. I'm not sure. I'm really not sure I even see this writer's point to be honest. However, I am now wondering about the U.S. and our current status on the world scene.

I do not believe that there is an excuse for what happened in New York City and Washington. Yet, I have to wonder if the U.S. has somehow become so isolated due to its position of power in the world that we are ignoring some very important international problems and sentiments. Yes, we do a lot to help other countries. Oftentimes though it is a mere handout that does little if anything to provide a longterm solution to their problems.

Several posters in different threads mentioned some duplicity in the U.S.'s dealing with other nations. Some also alluded to the percieved arrogance of the U.S. getting involved and forcefully imposing it's will on other regions and national groups. Many Americans, myself included think that actions such as the intervention in Kosovo and even Kuwait served a good purpose. Yet, as the quote above bears out, many in the international community may not think so. Are we ignoring thess dissenting voices and opinions to our own detriment? Is there something that can be done to allow U.S. policy to be more inclusive(although I think it's about as inclusive as any country can be)? I'd really appreciate any thoughts about this.

ONE....

bigboi

• teejay
    teejay

Bigboi!

I'm happy to see that the cogs are turning. I understood your hawkish stance all last week, but today it appears that you are willing to at least consider a broader view. The powers that be would be doing everybody a favor if they followed your example. The Bigboi that I've come to know and respect has reemerged.

Many Americans think that actions such as the intervention in Kosovo and even Kuwait served a good purpose. Yet, as the quote above bears out, many in the international community may not think so. Are we ignoring these dissenting voices and opinions to our own detriment?

In a word, yes.

Imo, Bush has a simplistic view that does not fit the modern world. Powell has been practically the lone voice in his administration urging a global view. Read Time magazines September 10 issue. Powell is on the cover. The cover story tells the story better than I could. ( http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101010910-173441,00.html ) Notice the issue date: Sept. 10. Powell, for all of his esteem and integrity, has been practically silenced in the Administration, almost castrated by small-minded people not interested in embracing world perspectives, with Bush's blessing.

Is there something that can be done to allow U.S. policy to be more inclusive?

Personally, I think the answer to the problem is very complex. The roots of the problem reach back into antiquity, but the Palestinians have a point and are not generally given due consideration by the friends of Israel.

They have rights like all other people in the world, not the least of which is a right to a homeland, denied them by both Israel and Israel's deep-pocketed benefactor. Some call Clinton's diplomatic attempts to solve the problem peacefully "groveling" but, imo, it's a method that should at least be attempted before breaking out the big guns.

I mean, who looses when people sit down and talk? Who knows... we might just reach an agreement. At least we'll better understand. That's not Bush's aim. He doesn't care about understanding... just playing John Wayne, trying to recapture the ghosts of Reagan and his daddy.

Lord help us.

peace,
    todd

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

It's nice to see another American willing to step outside the box and try to see things from a more global perspective. All of us need to try to see ourselves as part of a world community instead of just citizens of the country we live in.

I believe much of the answer lies in countries working through the UN and approaching difficult problems by means of an international community. If America was more of a team player instead of always acting on it's own, it would do much to improve it's reputation in the world.

Path

• bigboi
    bigboi
    I'm happy to see that the cogs are turning. I understood your hawkish stance all last week, but today it appears that you are willing to at least consider a broader view. The powers that be would be doing everybody a favor if they followed your example. The Bigboi that I've come to know and respect has reemerged.

Yes, I must admit that I was very upset last week. Who wasn't. I still think that terrorism must be answered with appropiate action. All the jokes and talk about bombing ppl in Afghanistan(which I mayhave participated in) really got me to thinking. The Afghan ppl are a beautiful ppl who have really gotten the proverial shit end of the stick. These ppl are suffering enough and do not deserve
    to put through more suffering because of a crooked government composed of petty thugs and extremists who are being bankrolled by a crazy militant Saudi who has an obvious ego problem. To bomb those ppl would not be appropiate.

Imo, Bush has a simplistic view that does not fit the modern world

I agree. He does have a very simplistic view of the problems presenting not just the world but this country. I'm not a big fan of Bush. I will support him and the country in the endeavors to catch and bring to justice these terrorists. However, I cannot support the killing of innocent ppl of any nation. If I did that, I would be no different than those terrorists that bombed my country.

The West cannot simply impose it's will on the world. If we do there is no doubt, that we will start seeing weapons of mass destruction in the parking lots of our shopping malls and additional planes falling out of the sky. We also stand to lose our liberty. Did you catch the new Cabinet position announced tonight? If we do lose that then the terrorists have already won. Homeland Security? Watch out folks!

I believe much of the answer lies in countries working through the UN and approaching difficult problems by means of an international community. If America was more of a team player instead of always acting on it's own, it would do much to improve it's reputation in the world.

Path, thanks for your comment. Like it or not America, if we are to be a resposible world power who truly values liberty, must be willing to take some punches and land some skillfully thrown combinations of our own in dealing with the world community. This public outcry for outright violence is wrong, dead wrong. We have been successfully baited by these terrorists who wish for nothing but our destruction. We have to prove ourselves better than this. Otherwise this great experiment called America will fail and we may bring the entire human civilization down with us.

ONE....

bigboi

"life's a bitch a with a g-string and a twelve pack of Busch."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit