JW Fertility Rate No Threat to European Secularism

by Justitia Themis 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=7913 "Breeding for God."

They have a point. Phillip Longman is correct to identify religious fertility as important, but has neglected the "apostasy" side of the equation. If fertility is always the main mechanism of social change, we would expect much higher populations of Amish, Seventh-Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses and other sects with very high fertility. Yet we know that these sects suffer high "defection" rates—even the Mormons lose a higher percentage of their children than most American denominations. A religious population is more porous than an ethnic population, because conversion or abandonment of the faith can take place rapidly and easily. And as long as the rate of abandonment is high enough to compensate for the religious fertility advantage, there is no threat to secularism. European data show that the religious have had a demographic advantage over their secular counterparts for several generations, but also that this advantage has been balanced out by the secularisation of many of the children of Europe's faithful. Bearing this in mind, I developed a more nuanced model of religious change that accounts for both religious fertility and abandonment of faith in Europe.

Justitia Themis

• earthtone
    earthtone

I always felt that they did not encourage having children in this system. I'm not sure how much of this really applies to JW's.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I always felt that they did not encourage having children in this system. I'm not sure how much of this really applies to JW's. I can only speak from my own personal perspective on this. It's correct that having children in 'this system of things' is discouraged, however I find that many if not all couples eventually 'give up' on that attitude and have children anyways. My sister has four kids, she was pregnant during the first year of her marriage. My best friend had two kids right away as well. Other friends, didn't have kids while the wife pioneered for 10 yrs, but now are pregnant and starting their family. So I think in the end, the fertility rate of j-dubs is surprisingly high. Even my mom came from a family of 6 kids. I guess when you're not allowed to have a career and live a fulfilling life, then the only thing left to do, is to go to meetings, then go home and F like rabbits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit