Anyone hear of a person hanging himself in real life in the Wizard of Oz?

by AK - Jeff 8 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

A lady I know told me today that in the original film, while dancing on the yellow brick road, someone on the set actually killed himself by hanging in the woods in the background and that it was visible if you had the tape. Anyone know if this is true?

I asked why they did not just cut the scene - she thought it was because it occured in relative darkness in the rear of the set, and that in those days they didn't make as many retakes for a film.

Anyone?

Jeff

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

No, it's not true...........we have the 50th Anniversary VHS and that was one of the things they mentioned as a WOOZ Urban Legend. I found this on the 'net:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozsuicid.htm

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

Sorry, it looks like an urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozsuicid.htm

• Simon
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

ok thanx.

I will look at the links. It seemed odd, but one never knows. She said she had a VHS of the scene and played in slo-mo one could see it.

Thanx again

Jeff

• Warlock
    Warlock

Sorry, but is sure looks like it on the tape I have.

Warlock

• YoungAmerican
    YoungAmerican

I don't know how true the "on set" suicide story is but my daughter told me about this the last time it was on TV and I watched that portion very close and was surprised to see what really did look like someone hanging from a noose from one of the far off trees.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Sorry, but is sure looks like it on the tape I have.

It sure looks like it on the tape that I watched, too. I thought it wasn't true until I watched it.

• JimWood
    JimWood

What I like are the Walt Disney movies that slip in the sex stuff into the kids movies (Little Mermaid, Lion King)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit