I'm protected by law, hurray!

by AnonyMouse 8 Replies latest jw friends

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

My mom telling me I had no rights infuriated me. It made me feel like all my attempts at freedom were useless (well, they were...). But the UN made a thingy protecting children that a freind of mine found.

http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/k2crc.htm

Article 14
    1. States Parties shall respect the right of the child to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.

2. States Parties shall respect the rights and duties of the parents and, when applicable, legal guardians, to provide direction to the child in the exercise of his or her right in a manner consistent with the evolving capacities of the child.

3. Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs may be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary to protect public safety, order, health or morals, or the fundamental rights and freedoms of others.

Paragraph 2 says that the parent provides instruction, but includes the words "consistent with the evolving capabilities...". In my thinking, that means that since I'm fully capable in free thought, I've 'evolved' beyond the point of being forced through religion by my mom.

The one problem is, I'm not sure if the USA ratified this or not. I'm pretty sure they did, since USA tries to be nice to it's people and all. I don't see a reason why they'd not.

But this is just the first time I've seen it written, after a long time of searching, that I do indeed have rights.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I'm not sure if the USA ratified this or not. I'm pretty sure they did, since USA tries to be nice to it's people and all. I don't see a reason why they'd not.

I'm afraid you'll have to find some reason: they did not.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

For a similar anonymous reason, they never ratified the greenhouse gases bill...

• joe_black
    joe_black

During the past six or so years, here in the USA, under a certain administration, which I won't name, the First Ten Amendments or the "Bill Of Rights" has been slowly eroded down to about Two that are still valid, so I would bet that the UN thingy u just posted has no affect here.

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

You know what that means...

Time to move to North Korea and help them launch missiles...

Or become the youngest president and actually DO SOMETHING RIGHT.

At this rate, I'll become a serial killer >.<!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

If the memory serves, we did not ratify the Rights of the Child.

We just like putting young people to death!

(How's that for a conversation starter?)

• rowan
    rowan

Anonymouse,

I've read your original post and can relate to what is happening to you. I could finally break free from my hard core dominating JW parents when I was 23. yes, I felt suicidal many times. but I'm here right now, free and independent. and you too, will also get there. It feels like being trapped, and I can understand your anger against your mother, but remember, she is also a victim, and is most probably behaving so outrageously against you because she thinks she doing the best for you. Just hang in there, remember it will pass. and once you are free, the sky is your limit.

It will pass. time passes quickly. in the mean time you can think of things that will help you get independant. get a particular area of interest that does not conflict with her and can help you in the future to get a job or further education. baby, you are in america. I am an immigrant (legal) here, and I can tell you: you set your limits here. there are chances. there is a future for everyone seeking it, so hang in there, it will come. just make sure to be there to embrace your destiny.

you have my empathy,

Rowan

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

Am I allowed to take psychology?

That's not 'demonized' is it?

I just happen to think I'm naturally good at it (maybe caused my 'detection' of the JW's lies early on?) .

Thankfully my Mom isn't so shortsighted to think that extra school is worthless. She wants me to get into computers (Wanted me into veterinarian, but I'm not too keen on that anymore). But we won't need computers in the new system, will we ;) ?

• rowan
    rowan

It's great news that your mom encourages you on your education. make the most out of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit