The only time Jesus was truly angry...

by BabaYaga 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Seems to me the only time Jesus got really miffed was in the temple. I mean, we're talking ticked enough to toss tables, fer cry eye!!! Just because there was money changers in the temple? Well, what about all the money changing (oh! I'm sorry, for legal reasons that term has been changed to "donations") that goes on in the WT "temples" every day?

This is always brought to mind when I think about how stupid, heartless, UNSCRIPTURAL, unloving, and UNCHRISTIAN it is to disfellowship and shun ANYONE. You know... as I recall... Christ was not big on throwing stones. He saved the life of a prostitute. He hung out with a bad crowd and healed persons equally... I don't recall any accounts of him keeping index cards on anyone.

My take is that Jesus wasn't big on shunning. And like I said, the only real hissy fit was in a temple.

Any thoughts?

• juni
    juni

I couldn't agree w/you more BabaYaga. Their policies are very unChrist like.

Juni

• Honesty
    Honesty

After all, it was His temple and a lot of BS was going down in it.

I sincerely doubt Jesus has ever known the Watchtower Society.

• Flash
    Flash

I do believe the WTS and the local Elders abuses disfellowshipping by over using it, making it apply to their everything "they" disapprove of.

Having said that, Jesus did set the standard for it in Matthew 18: 15~17.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Yes, Jesus did set a precedent for not being close..to a sinner, as a friend... but not anything like the witnesses..

A group of elders order every JW to shun an individual whom they aren't even allowed to know what they did..

Math. 18:17 If he does not listen to them speak to the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.

Not shunning but just not accepting of the individual as a brother of Christ..

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Excellent point, Star Moore, thanks... indeed, he doesn't say to shun them, does he?

And hasn't anyone here had a beer or two with a tax collector? Well?

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Getting "disfellowshiped" is like someone kicking you out of their car just before they run into a brick wall doing 80.

Now...is that a bad thing or good thing?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

hahahahha... great point, DChristopher! And one, indeed, I have not thought of in those terms before. My problem is that I still want my loved ones out of the car before it crashes into the wall, too...

• Flash
    Flash

under_believer said this to me on this thread:

accept their judgment of others. shunning

Flash, the question I have for you is: How did the Jews treat men of the nations and tax collectors? Jesus (the Bible's perfect example) seems to have given us a lead. How did he treat Matthew (a tax collector?) How did he treat the Samaritan woman (a woman of the nations?)
    For that matter, how did the Jews at large treat foreigners?

Just something to think about. I'm not convinced that the words you quote dictate shunning.

I think he makes a valid point about shunning NOT being a "hard and fast" rule we must follow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit