Back from my short trip with JW friend........what would you say to this?

by whyizit 3 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

I (a non-JW) went on a trip with my friend ( who is a long-time JW study) over the weekend. I thought she might use it as an opportunity to try to seduce me into the WTS view. She never mentioned it once. Not one word about any of it. Never heard the name Jehovah once. She didn't mention it, so I left it alone too. We had a great time!

Today when I was talking to her, she mentioned that while preparing for our trip the week before, she cancelled out on a study and then skipped KH on Sunday. Tonight she is going to a meeting or study. I can't remember which. Anyway, she said that she just knows her "guru" is going to put a big fat guilt trip on her, and she is dreading it. She said it really irritates her. I suggested that she tell her in a kind manner to read Romans 8:1 and maybe it would soak in that she should not be critical, because it is between you and God, not other people. What's right for her may not be right for you. God knows your heart. Your salvation isn't based on what "they" think you should be doing, is it? The religious Pharisees tried to give Jesus a lot of flack because He didn't jump through their hoops. He certainly let them know what really matters! (She agreed.)

Anyway, I thought you all might have better insight into this. She said she was going to look up some Scriptures to use in her defense. I thought this might be a good sign. Although she thinks they have it all right, she is getting tired of the pressure to "be there" all the time. She told me that is why she hasn't joined gung-ho yet. She doesn't feel like she can commit to the time demands.

• voltaire
    voltaire

I think that's a great response. Cultivate it, support her without being overtly anti-JW. When she complains, sympathize. I think it's great for you to subtly equate the elders with the pharisees (not hard to do in some congregations). A study can feel isolated from family and friends (JWs are shooting for this). You have to have someone in your life, and if they can cut you off from everyone else, what other option exists? If you're there for her, she's got a far better chance.

• juni
    juni

Hi whyizit!

First of all, how is Lady Marilyn today?

I remember you bringing up this friend before. Sounds like she's still having doubts. You did an excellent job pointing out those thoughts to her.

They do put the pressure on a Bible student after they've studied for a while. They want you to get fully "immersed" in the mtgs. and f. service. It goes on from there.

Thanks for asking us our opinion as we've been there and done it all.

Juni

• whyizit
    whyizit

Thanks for the encouragement!

Like you said, I was trying to be compassionate without being critical. I don't want anyone trying to make her think I'm Satan incarnate! She has a meeting tonight, so I will probably hear more about what was said tomorrow. If you have any insight on what they might tell her tonight and what I could say to her tomorrow to ease her mind, that would be great! I'd like to be prepared.

Lady Marilyn is doing wonderfully! At first I kind of wondered if she would ever bond with us, but due to the heart worm treatment, and all the extra TLC, she is finding her place as our little lady. Thanks for asking about her!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit