Rep. Foley

by Alpheta 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Alpheta
    Alpheta

Maybe I skipped over the posts and if so, I'm sorry and you can delete this thread. Just wondering if anyone else has seen the similarities between the allegations swirling around U.S. Congressman Foley (Rep. Florida) and allegations made by victims of sexual assault for years in the JW congregations. Not as to the particulars regarding Foley's somewhat hinky emails or the sexually explicit text-messages he exchanged with at least one of the House pages, but as to how certain people in power KNEW of the allegations of bad conduct but, instead of acting on behalf of the alleged victims, decided to "deep six" everything.

Now tonight I have just seen on the t.v. news that Foley says he was himself sexually assaulted between the ages of 13 and 15. I have read and read and read about this kind of pattern for years. Why is it that male victims of sexual assault so often prey on the innocent, in turn, and play out that same violence that was committed against them? I can't begin to fathom it.

All I know is that since this story broke (I first read about it on September 30th) I've been getting more and more angry with each new revelation of the DEPTH of - well, I don't even know what to call it! At least some of Foley's fellow politicians seemingly aided and abetted the burial of allegations of Foley's predilections. Somehow, PERFIDY just doesn't begin to describe what went on.

And also on the news tonight, the "details" about a guy in Pennsylvania who killed five young Amish schoolgirls by putting bullets into their heads because he was - allegedly - "tormented" by the facts of sexual assaults he had committed against younger victims some 20 years ago.

Am I the only one seeing a horrible, terrifying pattern here? Such as - we can expect to see more of this behavior coming out of the Kingdom Halls, because there have been so many "silent" victims? Well, I don't know what I'm saying anymore; it's way past my bedtime, a bad storm is predicted to come about 2 in the morning and I'm already worn out from three prior nights of thunder and lightning storms, so I'm going to call it a night. Maybe I'm just sleep deprived and this will all go away with a good night's sleep...

• serendipity
    serendipity
    Such as - we can expect to see more of this behavior coming out of the Kingdom Halls, because there have been so many "silent" victims?

There's been bad behavior in and out of the KH for many years, and I'm sure it will continue without letup. Until the WTS radically changes the policy and removes the 2 witness rule, the situation won't improve.

As for the world at large, I don't hold much hope for more people treating children with respect, rather than sex objects or property or scapegoats.

• mouthy
    mouthy

This is why I personally feel God has taken his hand of U.S.A.& England. Because they profess to be Christian Countries .And what is going on in those places by POWER people .Who I believe put their hand on the Bible & swore to uphold Christian principles. So before you all shout at me I said I PERSONALLY THINK -I am allowed to do that ____>>>> God told me!!!!!THINK GRACENOW YOU CAN START TOSSING THE STONES ! COS I AM GOING OUT LOL

• Confession
    Confession
    "Why is it that male victims of sexual assault so often prey on the innocent, in turn, and play out that same violence that was committed against them?"

You really think it's about males? Think again.

The number of female inmates doing time for sex offenses has doubled in recent years: In 1991, there were 647 women in prison for rape and other sexual offenses; in 2002, there were 1,300 female sex offenders, according to prisoner reports collected by the Department of Justice's Bureau of Justice Statistics. However, sex offenders remain a small percentage of female inmates.
    "We don't really think there are more sex offenders. We think the reporting has gotten better," said Allison Taylor, executive director of Texas' Council on Sex Offender Treatment...
    "Female sexual deviancy is just as real and damaging as male sexual deviancy," said Ms. Molett, recalling how one of her clients — an ex-teacher — had convinced herself that the teenage boy she assaulted loved her.

Read the entire story here http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050321-123042-6669r.htm

• Badger
    Badger

Hastert is in a lot of trouble over this, too. And so are a lot of Congressmen on both sides, if they knew.

Hastert, and possibly a few others, have educator licenses. In nearly all states, such ones are required by law to report child abuse or face their own criminal charges.

• Alpheta
    Alpheta

"You really think it's about males? Think again."

No, Confession, I don't think it's just males. I made my statement within the limited context of the Rep. Foley and the Amish murder stories.

• Confession
    Confession

Gotcha. Thanks.

Confession

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

It is the typical abuse of power, whether thru a religious organization or a political office. It is just used in different ways, each of which are harmful to others if not kept in check. As for Foley ... well what can be said to that man other then grab the shovel and start digging because he is done.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Cover ups in government, NEVER! Actually, if this your first reality check to government cover-ups, then it is good it happened to you. You should realize government is all about cover-ups and games. Imagine all the stuff that was successful in being erased in removed from public sight.

At the same time, where are all the people coming forward and explaining all the problems associated with being molested as a child and the problems that gives you as an adult. Where are the people who have been molested, saying that they had problems as an adult too and hope that people can be understanding with Foley for they know his background and realize he is a human being. Apparently they are Democrats and keeping quite right now, so that their party can get control of Congress. As I would think, if this man was a Democrat, they would be very focal in hoping he seeks help in dealing with his problem. I did find it interesting though, that a news media asked people what he did to the general public and a lot of people think he had sex with a 16 year old boy. He only texted messaged, e-mailed and spoke with him. Yet the media attention has people confused, what a shock there.

I do think he needed to resign, but like all things that happen in politics today. It is not about victims, people or human interest. It is about, "How much can we use this to gain more power." That is why politics make me ill.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

This Foley scandal is just in the beginnings...many heads will roll before it's all over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit