Sister will not visit son's house as he lives with his girlfriend - why not

by Deleted 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Deleted
    Deleted

One of my mates from grade/high school married a woman who became a JW, who witnessed to me in 1980 and in turn I became a JW (1981-1998). I left, she didn't, and she never spoke to me again. I have recently rekindled my friendship with my old schoolfriend. I got an email from him today, first in several years. His wife is still a JW, but they don't talk about it. However, one thing that pisses him off is that she won't visit her son's house, as he and his girlfriend live together. Now the son, Chris, was never a JW and never wanted to be, so why is he not treated like any other "worldly" person. If the wife, Stella, was calling on an unmarried couple she would go into their home, would she not? I have heard of this before when someone was raised JW, never baptized (and thus never DF'd) but "knew better" and that not visiting the home was to remind him of his "bad ways". I don't agree, of course, but I accept that. But in Chris' case he never even went to a meeting, why should he be held to some level of conduct that he has no real sense of? How his mother could think that a loving act is beyond me.

So here's my question:

Does anyone have a scripture or Wt reference that I could have my friend give his wife to have her get the sense of this, that she is going "beyond the writtien word"?

Thanks!

Glen

• Odrade
    Odrade

Ah, Glen... why bother. She's probably following the advice of some tall, "dignified" pompous windbag of a substitue C.O. (starts with "K", rhymes with "hurt,") and nothing her worldly husband could show her in a WT book could ever compete with the direct counsel of such a fine, upstanding man of god. *cough*cough*

• Deleted
    Deleted

Hey Odrade,

Nope, this is an English "sister", and IMHO they are less nutty than their US counterparts, but maybe 'cos I don't live there. As for K who rhymes with Hurt, it seems that the "church leaders here in Estacada have been ousted" by three new elders brought in to sort the place out, well that's how I heard it.

How are you and Mr Odrade (see I am not using your real names 8-]). I will try to make the next meet-up, even if it is on a school night, how about you?

All the best!

Glen

• Odrade
    Odrade

I have a sneaking suspicion we missed the meetup today... oh well, maybe the next one, send me a PM if you and the wifey are going to make it there. Mr. Odrade and I are great! Trying to plan some remodelling. (ugh and Yay! at the same time.) Also we are getting a new puppy. (more YAY!)
    Funny about the ousting, it's about time that happened...strange too about the Brit, seems like they have a little more commonsense, but obviously she's a little off her froot-loop if she's pulling that nonsense. Thing is, there was a KM about 4 years ago that really caused a bunch of families to take a hard-line against their non-JW or ex-JW children. Maybe that is her reasoning? I don't think there has been a retraction since, and the latest "When a loved one leaves Jehovah" magazine I'm sure didn't help much.
    Maybe she expects that he should "know better" by osmosis? As in, she's a JW so he should be too? Who knows what they think anymore...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit