Pay any price, bear any burden

by Ustabee 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Ustabee
    Ustabee

As we as a country and a collection of people begin a process that will surely be painful, dirty and bloody, let us not forget that this nation has been through painful, dirty and bloody processes before. Our fathers and grandfathers fought a war to preserve freedom and democracy. During that war, dark days were experienced and many, many people lost their lives in the cause of freedom. They never lost sight of the goals of that war. They paid any price, bore any burden to achieve victory over the forces of evil. My mother was sixteen years old in WWII, she left home and worked in an ordinance plant at night and went to high school in the day. She along with many others of that era were totally committed to bringing to a successful conclusion ‘this dirty business.’

I have no doubt that the ‘dirty business’ we are about to embark upon will be even more ‘dirty’ than that of WW II. News commentators have been making a lot of the ‘New World’ that all of us woke up to Wednesday, September 12. It is a new world, for sure, as seen from this Irish politician’s words to the IRA:

You cannot continue to threaten the Good Friday Agreement, all elements of which have been endorsed by the overwhelming majority of the Irish people voting in a freely conducted and fair referendum. It is not your Agreement. It belongs to all the people of this island.

Nor can you threaten and risk damaging the goodwill which this country and its people enjoy in the United States, including with the US Administration. Your continuing refusal to put arms and explosives beyond use in Ireland is an appalling signal to send at any time but particularly so following last week's atrocities.

A speech in the Irish Parliament after the WTC Attacks.

Our country and our people are up to this task, of which I have no doubt. We need to be realistic and expect the worst and hope for the best. However, let the whole world know that we have done this before and we will do it again.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Perhaps a new order of thinking was born on September 11, 2001. As Emperor Titus used to say "SEMPER PARATUS PRO IGNOTO" always prepared for the unknown!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think the concern I have is that in the past 50 years the left, acting through the public school system, may have quite thoroughly performed a "wil-ectomy" on the youth of this country, to the degree that they might prefer to bend their knee in submission rather than fight for the freedom they've inherited from their forefathers. In addition to the "America is BAD; it takes a commune to raise a kid" educational system, we have a HUGE percentage of the male population who were raised by single (or divorced) Moms - who think that manhood is something like Mr. Rogers or Mr. Rambo. Men and women are different, and a man-hating woman cannot raise a man - she can raise an effeminate genteel mockery of a man (and, just to be clear, I am not suggesting "homosexual" - I believe some homosexual men may be more "manly" than these effeminate heterosexuals - and other homosexual men may not).

I've heard the "momma's boy" apologists on radio talk shows already - their "delicate sensibilities" are so "precious" and "superior" to mere mortals such as we -they prefer to be a parasite's feast, believing that their pacifism grants them some kind of metaphysical nobility. The parasite, of course, agrees.

• LDH
    LDH

Nathan,

I hear ya loud and clear, I really do.

When I was a single parent (child is a girl) I once had a conversation with a casual acquaintance. He was a psychoterapist. He noticed that I rarely wore make-up or did foo-foo things with my hair. He actually had the gall to tell me that my daughter wouldn't know 'how to be a woman' if I didn't set the example for her!

As if being a woman is comprised of getting your hair and nails done weekly, and that's all there is to it!

I think single moms are very aware that their children need the input of other adults. That's why we've the Boys and Girls Clubs, Big Brothers/Sisters etc.

I think our young men have mostly seen testosterone palyed out on a football field. I hope it is a transferable talent.

Lisa

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    He noticed that I rarely wore make-up or did foo-foo things with my hair. He actually had the gall to tell me that my daughter wouldn't know 'how to be a woman' if I didn't set the example for her

boooooahhaahhahhahhaa..................'splains it all

• Ustabee
    Ustabee

Concerns about the state of the nation's youth have been a fixture of most generations since this country's founding. In WW II, the older generation that had fought WW I was faced with a generation that listened to music that to the older ones was absolutely frightening. Hard to think that big band music would cause that reaction, but it did. 'Jitterbugging' wasn't limited to fishing anymore. They drank and partied and smoked and just generally had a good time. Then Pearl Harbor happened and those same jitterbugging party hounds became in Tom Brokaw's words, "The Greatest Generation." People have a way of rising to the demands of the circumstances.

If you look at the faces of these youths as they ask the questions on CNN, you see something different, something that wasn't there before. Let's hope that they can rise to this challenge against mankind as our forefathers have done since we became a country.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit